Student Services Hub

Your Student Services Hub is the place for advice, support and the information you need. Your question matters and you’ll get answers from experts. .

Get help in an emergency and out-of-hours support.

Find advice and support information

Below are all the services provided by the Student Services Hub. If you can't find what you're looking for, try the search function in the Student Directory.

Registration and Welcome

To protect your health and wellbeing, we’ve adapted our registration process. You’ll first be contacted on your personal email to ask you to set up your new Essex IT account. Online Registration for the Summer Term will open to new students at 10am on Monday 22 March 2021 and close at 11.59pm (GMT) on Sunday 23 May 2021.

All new students must register with the University, including payment of fees, before you are able to access your Online Welcome programme or attend teaching (online or face to face).

Money, fees and funding

For students registering from 2020/21 onwards, details of the fees you need to pay will be confirmed as part of online registration. You can either pay the whole fee for the year in one go, or pay by termly instalments. The first instalment for the term 1 is payable as part of online registration to enable you to register. Subsequent instalments for terms 2 and 3 are due on specific dates, which will be listed on your invoice and emailed to you after you have registered.

If you are receiving a student loan please refer to information on our webpages.

Immigration advice for International students

Immigration advice and guidance is regulated in the UK by the Office of the Immigration Services commissioner, this means only authorised University teams can provide you with guidance and advice about the UK’s student Immigration Rules. We recommend you read the extensive information about the UK’s student immigration rules and requirements on our immigration pages. We hope you will find all the information you require. You can also read the UKCISA webpages.

Further Information

After reading the online information, if you can’t find what you’re looking for or need further guidance, you’ll be able to contact the relevant team via the ‘ask us a question’ section of our immigration pages.

Documents for UK immigration purposes

Our International Services team can produce the following documents for UK immigration purposes only:

  • CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for students continuing their course.
  • An email for an employer detailing term and vacation dates for Tier 4/Student visa holders.
  • A letter to apply for a new ATAS certificate to continue your course.
  • A "highly likely" to pass letter for Postgraduate students going to study at another institution.
  • A letter for eligible students to apply to the Skilled Worker route 3 months prior to completing their course.

Fill in our immigration enquiry form for current Essex students and let us know in the "Something else" section which of these documents you require. We’ll need your employers name, if it’s for employment purposes. We can’t provide any other documents.

Registering with the Police 

If your entry clearance vignette states you need to register with the Police and you live in Essex you can now book an appointment to register with the Police. You’ll need to create an account on the Essex Police website and book an appointment at your local Police Station to register as soon as possible. If you already have a Police Registration Certificate for Essex and need to update any of your information, you’ll also need to book an appointment by creating an account. Read the Essex Police website for more information.

Studying remotely overseas due to COVID-19

If you are concerned about the impact of COVID-19 on your immigration status or planned study in 2020-21, read the UKCISA COVID-19 guidance and the University’s COVID-19 webpages and our your responsibilities page if you are a sponsored student with a Tier 4 or Student visa.

Tier 4/Student entry clearance expiring before travel to the UK

If you have already obtained your Tier 4/Student entry clearance vignette (sticker in your passport) but won’t be travelling into the UK until after the expiry date, do not travel until you have applied for and been issued with a new entry clearance vignette.

UKCISA have published guidance on what to do if you cannot travel to the UK during the validity of your entry clearance vignette, please read the information included under the heading “Immigration permission granted, but you cannot travel to the UK”. UKCISA recommend that you: Contact the Coronavirus Immigration Helpcentre in the first instance to request a free replacement entry clearance vignette. We do not know if you will be issued with a replacement vignette free of charge if you already have a 90 day entry clearance vignette, this is because the Home Office have stated in their Covid advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents that this free replacement is for those who were issued with a 30 day vignette up to the end of 2020.

If you can’t obtain a free replacement vignette, the standard process for replacing an entry clearance vignette is outlined on UKCISA’s webpage (under the heading 30 day vignette expired outside the UK) and a charge is payable for this. UKCISA have asked the Home Office if the free replacement applies to those issued with a 90 day vignette and as soon as they receive a response will publish additional guidance on their COVID-19 webpage.

Making an application under the Student route

The standard processing time for Student rote applications made in the UK is 8 weeks. If you made your application more than 8 weeks ago, we may be able to contact the Home Office to request an update on your application. You may also be able to contact the Home Office directly to request an update. There is a charge to use this service.

Starting an Essex Abroad course less than 6 months long

If you’re travelling via Ireland, it’s important you read this information - Arriving via Ireland

EU Settlement Scheme questions

We are only authorised to provide guidance about the UK’s student immigration rules. However, there is some information on our immigration pages with links to online guidance from reputable sources that you may find useful.

Graduate route (post-study work) questions

We can’t offer any guidance until the Home Office publish the rules in the spring of 2021.


Contact us

  • Book an online appointment with an adviser – Appointments are via Zoom every Wednesday 10am-12pm – please use live chat or call us to book an appointment.

Opening hours

Please note the Student Services Hub will close for the Easter bank holiday from 5pm on Wednesday 31 March 2021 and will re-open at 10am on Tuesday 6 April 2021.

During term time

Via live chat, email or telephone: 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.

During the vacation

Via live chat, telephone or email: 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Visit us

If you have an appointment you can find us in:

  • Colchester – 1st floor of the Silberrad Student Centre - Monday to Friday, 9am to 12.15pm and 1.30pm to 4.45pm 
  • Southend – 2nd floor of The Forum - Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 12.15pm and 1.30pm to 3.45pm
  • Loughton – ground floor Hatfields  - Tuesday and Wednesday 9am to 1.45pm and 3pm to 4.45pm (zoom appointments also available Monday, Thursday and Friday)

Support from your department

Your school, department or centre is available to help and provide you with information and guidance related to your studies, including:

  • course and modules
  • submission and deadlines
  • progress on your course
  • academic support hours
  • training and resources
  • timetable

We'll do our best to answer your question directly. Even if we cannot answer it, we will guide you to someone who can.

Your department contacts

Details of who to contact in your school or department can be found your Student Handbook or online.

Personal Tutor

You can also contact your Personal Tutor who is there to help you feel connected to your department, school or centre and is someone you can talk to if you have questions about your course or encounter any difficulties which affect your studies.


As part of your experience at Essex, we want you to benefit from the wisdom and experience of those students or alumni who have been down a similar path. Find out more about mentoring.

Making a complaint

We aim to give you the highest levels of service at the Student Services Hub. If you're unhappy with the service you've received, we will investigate what has happened and respond to you as quickly as possible, normally within 10 working days. If it takes longer to resolve your complaint, we'll send you an update and a revised timescale.

We'll confirm we've received your email, normally within three days of receipt. It may be necessary for us to contact you to ask further questions. If this is the case we will use your University email address (please indicate in your initial email if you'd like an alternative address to be used).

If you remain unhappy once we have looked into the matter then you can take things further by submitting a formal complaint.