Registering with a doctor

Don’t wait until you become ill to register with a doctor. If you are worried about your health you can call 111 for health advice (this service is free from any phone).

As a student studying on a course for more than six months, you're required to register with a local doctor throughout your period of study if you live on campus or in the local surrounding area.

Register as soon as possible after you arrive, in case you should suddenly need medical treatment. If you are not registered you may be referred to the local Walk In Centre for treatment, as a doctor is not obliged to see you (unless deemed a medical emergency).

NHS Choices postcode finder can help you find your nearest doctor and register with them.

    Colchester Campus

    Our Colchester Campus has its own health centre offering NHS services and is located behind Rayleigh Tower on the north side of campus. The centre is operated by our NHS partners Rowhedge Surgery.

    Services include:

    • appointments with doctors
    • nurse triage system for emergencies during opening hours
    • specialist nurse clinics including asthma, diabetes, sexual health and contraception

    If you have access needs, see the AccessAble guide to University Health Centre at Colchester Campus.

    Southend and Loughton Campuses

    Use the NHS Choices postcode finder to locate your nearest doctors' surgery.

    If you don't live on campus

    If you don't live on campus and wish to register with a doctor/GP you can search for the nearest GP surgery in your local area. You must first contact the surgery you wish to register with to check if you live within the surgery area. If so, you will be asked to produce evidence of living at your address. If accepted by the surgery you will need to complete a registration form.

    Student Services Hub
    Need help?

    If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.