Immigration and visas: During your studies

If you require immigration permission to study in the UK with us, you must ensure you maintain valid immigration status throughout your course and adhere to all the immigration rules and conditions that apply to you. Failure to do so may mean that you will be unable to complete your course as planned.

The University of Essex is a Student Sponsor with a track record of compliance. To maintain our Student Sponsor licence, we have many duties that we must comply with. You can read the Student Sponsor Guidance to find out more.

Students who are sponsored by us for a Student visa should read the section below for detailed information about their additional responsibilities to us and the Home Office and to find out what they will need to do should their course or personal circumstances change.

You must abide by all University Regulations, the General regulations include Immigration Status Requirements for those students subject to immigration control.

If you have dependants with you in the UK, please read the UKCISA website for guidance and contact their student advice line if you need to.

Right to study checks

Right to study with us

Non-UK/Irish nationals must have valid UK immigration permission for the duration of their course to study with us inside the UK. Find out what you will need to complete your right to study check after you have registered online.

Living and working in the UK

Working in the UK during your studies

Whether you can work during your studies depends on what type of immigration permission you have. If you have Student immigration permission, before seeking work you must check what you are allowed to do so that you do not breach your immigration conditions.

Working in the UK after your studies

It may be possible for you to apply for permission to stay in the UK after you have finished your course to work or seek work. Find out more about the most common routes that students apply to when they finish their studies including the Graduate route.

Police registration

Police registration is no longer required for nationals with immigration permission on their arrival in the UK.

Inviting people to visit you in the UK

If you would like to invite a relative or friend to come and visit you in the UK they may require immigration permission to enter the UK as a visitor and may need a letter of invitation and documents from you.

Studying with a Student visa

Your responsibilities and immigration conditions

By accepting our University's immigration sponsorship, our CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to apply for Student immigration permission, you will have many responsibilities to us and to the Home Office. It is very important you understand what you must do throughout your course.

Academic engagement, attendance and progression

Our University is required to monitor the attendance, engagement and progress on their course for all our sponsored students and report those who do not attend or engage as required. Find out more about the requirements and what is expected.

Maximum period of study rules

The Student Immigration Rules limit the amount of time you can study at undergraduate degree level and below. Therefore, any changes to your studies that will result in you spending longer than planned to obtain your qualification must be considered very carefully. It is your responsibility to check you would be able to complete your course.

Changes to your personal information and contact details

If you have Student immigration permission, you must report certain changes to personal circumstances to us and the Home Office. If you are required to register with the police you will also have to tell them.

Changes to your course

You are sponsored by the University to study the course stated on your CAS. If anything changes after you have started, you must check what this may mean for your Student immigration permission and what you will need to do.

Requesting a CAS to complete your course

If you will not have completed your course by the date your current Student immigration permission expires and are required to continue in person inside the UK, you can request a new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). Make your request at least four months before your visa expires or your course resumes if you are taking a break.

Your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) and passport

If you are studying in the UK for more than 6 months and have not been issued with digital immigration status, you are likely to have a BRP. Find out more about BRP’s and what to do if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged and you get a new one.

Arrow symbol
Get in touch
Applicants / starting a new course