Right to study with us

Non-UK/Irish nationals must have valid UK immigration permission for the duration of their course to study with us inside the UK. Find out what you will need to complete your right to study check after you have registered online.

Your personal information is held by the University and is checked at our right to study checks at the start of your course. Your Name(s) must be recorded by us as they appear in your passport and immigration document and you must keep your address and contact details up to date. You can update your contact details in your myEssex current student portal. If you would like to change your University record, read the University’s student names policy (.pdf) and seek advice from your Student Services Hub.

As an Essex student you must adhere to all University Regulations which include Immigration Status requirements. Students who are sponsored by us to study with Student immigration permission have additional responsibilities to us and to the Home Office, it is very important that you understand what all your responsibilities are. Read the ‘Studying with a student visa’ section for more information.

Immigration permission that expires before your course finishes

If your UK immigration permission will expire before your course is due to finish, you choose to register and start your course at your own risk. You will be required to provide us with evidence that you have applied for permission to stay in the UK before your permission expires and that you have the right to continue to study with us.

For those that are not sponsored by us to start their course with Student immigration permission, if you request our sponsorship at a later date to complete your course or start a new one, we will consider the request in line with the Student Immigration Rules and guidance in force at the time so are unable to guarantee that we will sponsor you. If you would like to stay in the UK after you have successfully completed your course and are interested in applying to the Graduate route, please be aware that you must have spent a minimum amount of time studying the UK with Student immigration permission to meet the Graduate route requirements.

Find out more about in person right to study checks by visiting our Registration pages and read our useful guide to the documents you will need to prove your right to study.