Winter Break - 23 December - 4 January
We would like to let you know about some of the activities planned over the winter break, the support available and some ideas to keep you busy.
All Residence Life activities are open to both on and off campus students from any location – no booking needed, just log on and join the event at the start time. If you have any questions or suggestions for future programmes, please contact email@example.com.
Find our schedule of festive events over the break below:
- 21 December: Let’s Decorate (learn to make some decorations) – 5pm, Zoom ID 9725 010 6240
- 22 December: Virtual Card Making – 2pm, Zoom ID 92635029441
- 23 December: Bake My Day (learn to bake cookies) – 2pm, Zoom ID 9713 168 8233
- 24 December: Xmas Movie Binge – 5pm, Zoom ID 9666 730 9376
- 25 December: Virtual Christmas Day (quiz, games, challenges and prizes!) – 2pm, Zoom ID 9887 731 6534
- 26 December: Christmas Online Games – 7pm, Zoom ID 9681 181 0416
- 27 December: Quiz and Dine – 7pm Zoom ID 9728 572 8554
Browse more University and SU events on the Events page. If you’re on Facebook, be sure to Like our Page to stay up-to-date.
Colchester, Southend and Loughton
If you’re thinking about venturing off campus, there are a range of events in Colchester, Southend, and the wider Essex area, so hopefully you’ll find some events in the area to attend in your local community, no matter which campus you attend.
Plan ahead and find out how to get around by public transport by taking a look at the First Bus timetable or plan your rail journey on Trainline. You could explore the wider area by taking a day trip to popular cities such as London or Norwich if COVID tier restrictions allow.
Security and Safety
Remember, emergency assistance and support continues to be available from our friendly Campus Security team in Colchester and Southend throughout the winter break. They provide 24-hour, face to face and phone support for students.
Additional Support Available from 23 December - 4 January (during the University closure period)
- Validium 24 Hour Student Support Line: 0800 970 5020 (outside UK: +44 141 271 7168) – staffed by counsellors - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- SilverCloud: a free online self-help resource for Essex students with modules exploring anxiety and depression, plus many others
- Validium VClub: an online support option which all University of Essex students can access. You can login online by using the login: UniofEssex and password: Wellbeingsupport
- Student Space
Keep in touch
The wellbeing team are keen to reach out and wish you a happy holiday, if you would like a phone call to check how you’re doing over the break please email firstname.lastname@example.org title your email ‘Hello, I’d like a chat please’ and one of our team will give you a call.
Winter Break Drop-In
Catch up with other students on campus, plus get some advice on looking after yourself over the winter break. The wellbeing team are hosting a daily drop-in, open to all, at 2.30pm every day from 10 – 22 December. No need to book, just join us on Zoom.
We're committed to keeping you safe, supported and informed about coronavirus. Find out what you can do to help stop the spread, what to do if you develop symptoms and all the support and guidance you may need on our dedicated COVID-19 Student Directory webpages. Stay informed about the Colchester campus GP surgery opening times and contact information over the Christmas break.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Residence Life!
For those going home, we look forward to welcoming you back after the winter break, and for those staying on campus or in the surrounding area we hope you see you at some of the events we have planned.
One last thing… Residence Life will start to recruit our new team of RAs in January, to begin work in September 2021. Follow us on Facebook to stay updated, and find out how to apply.