Asking for information about other people

In accordance with our Third Party policy, we will not normally share personal information about students or staff without their permission.

How to ask for information on someone else's behalf

If you have permission it is possible to request personal information on someone else's behalf. For example, if you are a lawyer acting for someone. It is helpful if you can use our subject access request form (.docx).

You do not need to use the form, but you will need to explain who you are, on whose behalf you are acting, their relationship with the University, and what information you want. Requests should be sent to the Information Assurance Manager by emailing

There is a £10 fee for this service. Cheques should be made payable to University of Essex and sent to the Information Assurance Manager. If you are unable to pay by cheque please contact the Information Assurance Manager who can advise on other payment methods.

Replying to you

We will always acknowledge your request. We may ask some extra questions to be sure of your identity, the identity of the person on whose behalf your are acting, or to clarify what information you are looking for. We have 40 calendar days in which to send you the information. Information is normally supplied in hard copy (paper).

We may remove ("redact") some information from the documents we send. This will normally be because there is information in the documents about people other than the person you represent. It will normally be clear from the documents where something has been removed.

How to complain

If you are not happy with the response you receive from us you should ask our Registrar and Secretary to review your caseask our Registrar and Secretary to review your caseask our Registrar and Secretary to review your case. If you are still not happy you then have a right of complaint to the Office of the Information Commissioner.

Verify a University of Essex degree

You can verify that someone has a University of Essex degree through the HEDD database.

Find out more about Data Protection

You can find out more from the data protection watchdog, the Office of the Information Commissioner.

Partner institutions

Other than a basic record to enable us to register you for library membership we do not normally keep information about people studying with our partner institutionspartner institutionspartner institutions. If you are studying with one of our partners and want copies of information about you then you will need to contact your own institution.

Contact us
Contact us
Freedom of Information Team Information is available on request.