Report misconduct by a student

The Code of Student Conduct sets out the standards of behaviour that the University expects and the action that will be taken where behaviour falls below these standards.

The Student Conduct Regulations describe the actions which are considered to be unacceptable behaviour. They are presented in full in Appendix 1 of the Code.

If you witness or experience behaviour that does not uphold our values, you are expected to speak out and the University will listen and take action.

Report an incident

If you are the victim of, or witness to, an incident that you feel is a breach of the Code, you should report the incident by completing an incident report form (.rtf).

You are encouraged to contact Students’ Union Advice if you need help to complete the form.

Sexual violence, harassment and hate crimes

The University has a zero tolerance approach to sexual violence, harassment and hate crime. All staff, students, and visitors to our campus can report anonymously via the Report and Support system.

When making a report you can request that the report is also submitted to the Student Progress Team to review in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.

After submitting a report an advisor from Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service will be in contact with you.

Reporting a crime to the Police

The University’s conduct procedures are not intended to replace criminal proceedings and if the allegation you have made may also constitute an offence under criminal law, you are expected to report the matter to the Police.

You should also report the incident (including the Crime Reference number) to our Security team at the Security and Safety Centre at the Colchester Campus which is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year or our Southend Helpdesk. Where possible, they may also be able to assist immediately and/or work together with the police using available resources such as CCTV.

The Security team may submit a report of the incident to the Student Progress Team to review in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.

Where to send your form

Completed forms should be submitted to the Student Conduct team by email to


You have the right to receive the support and advice of the University’s and Students’ Union’s support services at all stages of the procedures described in the Code, whether an allegation has been made against you, or you have reported an allegation, or are a witness.

Students' Union (SU) Advice

SU Advice is a confidential, independent and impartial service that is not part of the University.

They will provide a named advisor who will meet with you and support and guide you throughout the process, and can help you prepare for meetings with the Conduct Investigator and/or with the Conduct Committee, and attend with you if you choose. They will aim to ensure that procedures are followed and that all students involved are given a fair opportunity to present their case.

Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service

All students involved in procedures under this Code can obtain confidential advice and assistance from the Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service (SWIS).

Residence Life

Residence Life is an accommodation-based service made up of full time staff and part time student staff known as Residents’ Assistants (RAs). They aim to help make sure you have a positive experience from living and learning at Essex.

Conduct procedure

The incident report form will be passed to the Conduct Investigator for review. All allegations are considered seriously and action will always be taken where it is possible to do so.

For more information on the conduct procedure see the Code of Student Conduct.

Arrow symbol
Contact us
Student Progress Team University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ