Things to consider if you're thinking of leaving the University

If you're thinking of leaving the University, you may be able to get help and support with the reason you're thinking of leaving.

Below are some practical things you need to consider if you wish to leave the University. You may then wish to consider the options available to you.


Although you have not completed your current course, you may have accumulated some academic qualification credits, which might help you when applying for future courses. You can speak to your Department or an adviser in your Student Services Hub.

If in the future you decide to reapply to study at the University, you should contact the Admissions Office for guidance on making your application. There will be deadlines for submitting an application, for example, the middle of July if you would like to start at the beginning of a new academic year or the end of October for courses starting in January.


If you currently live in University-provided accommodation, you'll have to vacate your room from the date when you withdraw from your course. You'll receive an email once your withdrawal has been confirmed. Any accommodation charges that you have paid in advance will be refunded to you from the date on which you return your key. Find out more about withdrawing from your University accommodation.

Please be aware that if you're in privately rented accommodation, you may not be able to break your contract if you want to move.

After reading this, you might have decided that it's going to be difficult to break your contract and that you'll need to stay. However, if you're having accommodation-related problems, you can speak to Residence Life, SU Advice or an adviser in your Student Services Hub.

Financial matters

You need to be aware of the financial implications of leaving the University. For instance, if you're in receipt of the Essex Bursary or NHS Bursary, or receive any other financial support, changing your course status will have an impact on your financial situation. You also need to consider your fee liability, any loan/grant overpayments, Council Tax and unemployment benefits, eg being voluntarily without an occupation.

Discussing financial matters

If you're thinking of leaving and in receipt of any financial support, please ask for financial advice before doing anything. There are specialist advisers in your Student Services Hub. You can also visit SU Advice.

If you're a postgraduate research student please contact your graduate administrator in the first instance.

Owing fees to the University

If you withdraw from your course you will still have to pay some or all of the fees. You should check our tuition fee payment and liability policy (.pdf) to find out which fees will apply to you. If you have any questions, contact your Student Services Hub.

Student Finance

If you're a Home or EU student in receipt of tuition fee loans to pay your tuition fees, the University will notify Student Finance England when it has processed your withdrawal request should you decide to leave Essex. You should also contact them to inform them of your withdrawal.

If transferring to a different institution means repeating a year of study, you should be aware that this may use up the ‘gift year’ of funding.

Student loans

You're required to begin repaying your student loan the April after you finish/leave your course if you're earning over £18,935 per annum, or £25,725 if you started your course in October 2012.

Careers advice

If you decide to leave, before you do, you can make use of the services offered by the Careers Services within the Student Services Hub. Please note that if you withdraw, you won't be able to access University services, including Careers Services.

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.