Your options if you're thinking of leaving the University

If you're thinking of leaving the University, you may be able to get help and support with the reason you're thinking of leaving. There are also some practical things you need to consider if you wish to leave the University.

We want to make sure you're aware of all the options available to you to help you make an informed decision:

Continuing on your course

Contact your department and speak to your Personal Tutor to ensure you make use of the academic and wellbeing support available to you. Always ask if you feel you need further support.

Changing modules

You might find that you can change modules within the department to do another subject that suits you better.

Speak with your Departmental Student Administrator who looks after your year/course to find out whether you meet the criteria to make any changes. Remember that if you want to change a module, you will need to do this as close to the start of the module as possible.

Changing your course (including removing a Year Abroad)

You might find that you can change departments to take a different degree course. Speak with the relevant administrator of your current Department and the administrator of the Department that you're hoping to join to find out whether you meet the criteria to change course. Then make the formal application to change course.

Please note: academic, financial (including bursaries), visa or other issues might be affected by your decision. Make sure that you read this guidance carefully and discuss it and any concerns with a staff member in your Department. Check your student handbook and check with an administrator to see who the best person is within your Department. If your decision includes study abroad, speak with the Study Abroad office.

Intermit (take a formal break from your studies)

You need to formally apply to take a break from your studies. There are important practical matters to consider before you take a break such as academic progress, accommodation, financial (including bursaries), visa or other issues might be affected by your decision.

It is very important that you read and consider our guidance on intermitting first. This can be a very expensive decision if not done with careful thought.

Transferring to another university

If you've decided to transfer to another university, it's important to contact the other university before you make any decision.

Different universities have different course structures and module requirements, so it might not always be possible to transfer straight into the next year of study. Discuss the entry requirements and course pre-requisites with the new institution before making a decision. You might also have to reapply through UCAS. Take a look at the things to consider.

Your Higher Education Achievement Record provides a record of your achievements at our University, which you can make available to another institution. Credits must have been approved by a Board of Examiners before they are deemed as awarded.

Leaving the University

If you decide that withdrawal is right for you, you need to follow the process below.

  1. Speak to an adviser in your department or at your Student Services Hub, so you can consider all of your options.
  2. Make sure you've understood the practical implications (see Things to consider). Please read the guidance carefully - it could be very costly if you withdraw without considering these issues carefully. If you're not sure about any of these important matters, ask your adviser.
  3. If (after speaking with your adviser), you decide that withdrawal is right for you, tell them your decision. You'll be sent an online form to complete.
  4. Your completed form will automatically be received by your department. They will process your request before passing it to the Student Progress team (Colchester) or Student Administration (Southend) who will close your student record.

You'll receive a letter confirming that your withdrawal has been completed. Your letter will include your HESA ID number, which you'll need to provide to your new institution if you're continuing your studies elsewhere. This is a unique number assigned to you by the Higher Education Statistics Agency and used for statistical purposes to keep accurate records of the educational careers of all students.

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.