You must meet all of the following conditions:
- be classified as an international student for fee purposes
- be a national of an African nation (defined as a member state of the African Union)
- be entirely self-funding your studies
- be a graduate of any African country, or any of the countries specified in the Terms and Conditions below
- be applying for a full-time taught Masters course starting in 2021-2022 (excluding MBA)
- meet the academic criteria below
Other member states of the African Union
- 2:1 or above (or equivalent as defined by our Postgraduate Admissions selection criteria)
You will also be considered for this award if you are a national of an African nation and you have a degree:
- from a recognised UK university, other than Essex, with a 2:1 or above, or
- from a recognised university with a 2:1 or above (or equivalent as defined by our Postgraduate Admissions selection criteria) from any of the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- Sri Lanka
How to apply
We'll assess your eligibility based on the information that you submit with your application for your place at Essex.
If you meet all the eligibility criteria, you will automatically be awarded this scholarship. You don't need to complete an application form.
- For 2021-2022 entry: If you meet all the eligibility criteria and firmly accept the offer of your place by 18 September 2021 or by 17 January 2022 for January starting courses then you will automatically be awarded this scholarship. You'll be notified of your award when your place at Essex is confirmed or by end of October 2021 (end of January 2022 for January starting courses).
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
Africa Scholarship Programme Postgraduate - Terms and conditions for 2021-2022 entry (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.