- These scholarships are restricted to EU applicants who are classified as international students for fees purposes.
- Applicants must be entirely self-funded.
- Applicants must be starting their first year of study on a postgraduate research (including PhD) programme at the University of Essex in 2021-22.
- Applicants must actively make Essex their firm choice by 31 May 2021. Applicants that become firm with Essex through rejection by their original firm choice selection elsewhere are not eligible.
- Only one scholarship award can be made per student and the award cannot normally be held in conjunction with other University of Essex awards.
- This scholarship is available for the first year of study only.
- Successful applicants should be available for promotional activities.
Students who aren't eligible
The following students are NOT eligible for the PGR EU Scholarship regardless of meeting the above criteria:
- Students who are not ordinarily resident in an EU country.
- Students who are fully or partly sponsored.
- These scholarships do not apply to deferred entry. Where a student, to whom a scholarship has been offered and requests deferred entry, the award will be considered again in line with the terms and conditions that apply in the new proposed year of entry.
- Students transferring into the second year from another UK higher education institution.
- Students who are classified as a Home fee paying student.
How to apply
We'll assess your eligibility based on the information that you submit with your application for your place at Essex.
If you meet all the eligibility criteria, you will automatically be awarded this scholarship. You don't need to complete an application form.
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
PGR EU Scholarship – terms and conditions for 2021-22 entry (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.