- These scholarships are restricted to students who are overseas fee payers and are entirely self-funded*.
- Students must be ordinarily resident (see below for the definition of ordinary residence) in an EU country.
- Students must be starting their first year of study on a postgraduate research (including PhD) programme at the University of Essex in 2022-2023.
- Applicants who have firmly accepted an offer of a place by 16 September 2022 (for October 2022 start) or 06 January 2023 (for January 2023 start) and met the academic conditions of entry, will be considered for these scholarships.
- Only one scholarship award can be made per student and the award cannot be held in conjunction with any other University of Essex scholarships.
- This scholarship is available for the first year of postgraduate research study only.
- Successful applicants should be available for promotional activities.
*Students receiving a repayable loan to fund their studies will be considered as self-funded and includes tuition loans from the following bodies:
- Norwegian State Loan (Lanekassen)
- Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN)
- Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA)
- Denmark State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme
Students who are not eligible
The following students are NOT eligible for the PGR EU Scholarship regardless of meeting the above criteria:
- Students who are not ordinarily resident in an EU country.
- Students who are fully or partly sponsored.
- Students undertaking a research course that is normally delivered wholly online.
- This scholarship award does not apply to deferred entry. Where a scholarship has been awarded to a student who subsequently defers entry to the following academic year, the award will be withdrawn and the applicant will be considered again in line with the terms and conditions that apply in the new proposed year of entry.
- Students transferring from another from another UK higher education institution.
- Students who are classified as a Home fee paying student.
- Students studying an MRES or Professional Doctorate.
How to apply
We'll assess your eligibility based on the information that you submit with your application for your place at Essex.
If you meet all the eligibility criteria, you will automatically be considered for this scholarship. You don't need to complete an application form.
These scholarships will only be made available as a reduction on the tuition fee that is payable on registration at the University. Payment cannot be offset against a tuition fee deposit if one is require.
Please read the full terms and conditions for your entry year before applying for or accepting a scholarship or bursary. They contain important information about eligibility, how you'll receive your funding and whether this award can be combined with others or not.
PGR EU Scholarship – terms and conditions for 2022-2023 entry (.pdf)
If you're a current student looking for information about an award you received, see our terms and conditions for previous years.