Welcome new students

New international students

Bunting with country flags hanging in a street

Welcome to our global family

Whether you are able to start with us on campus in straight away or are studying remotely until you're able to join us, a warm welcome awaits you at Essex.

At Essex you really will find the world in one place on our campuses. But we know global citizenship goes beyond being amongst an international community of staff and students.

We will follow all national and international guidance on the reintroduction of more students and staff to our campuses. Social distancing measures will be clear and easy to understand across our campuses. This will include markings on the ground to ensure queues remain distanced to screens and dividers in study areas to ensure everyone can keep apart safely. We will also reduce class sizes and organise classrooms and lecture halls so you can stay socially distanced while you learn. You will be living with other students, where some facilities will be shared, so please make sure you try and use these, when others are not.

Read all the guidance and publications carefully, watch our videos and check out our social media so you don't miss out on anything!

If have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Student Information Team.

Key information

Travelling to the UK, quarantine and self-isolation

Before you arrange to travel please check the UK Government website for the latest information and restrictions on entering the UK and living in England. 

At this time the UK Government has banned entry to England for those who have travelled from or via a number of countries due to new strains of the virus. The UKVI have told us that students with a long-term visa including a Student route or Tier 4 visa and those with settlement in the UK are regarded as residents so should be able to travel.

Read UKCISA guidance for international students travelling from the UK's red list of travel ban countries

Quarantine and self-isolation 

The Government has introduced a number of quarantine and self-isolation instructions for anyone arriving in the UK. Further information relating to this can be found on the Government webpages.

Keep checking the UK Government travel guidance

It’s important you keep checking for updates before you travel to find out if you are able to enter the UK, what you must do before you travelupon arrival and the rules about self-isolating once you are here.

‘Travel corridors’ are currently suspended. Read the coronavirus: travel corridors guidance for more information.

We strongly advise you to check with your airline before you go to the airport and check the latest guidance on the UK Government website.

What you need to enter the UK

If you are travelling don’t forget you’ll need to make sure you have:

  • a completed passenger locator form
  • proof of a negative coronavirus test

Find out more about the documents you’ll need because of coronavirus.

Settling in

To help you settle in and so you do not have to leave your accommodation unnecessarily, we will provide you with a quarantine pack (basic food such as pasta, rice, tea etc/bedding/kitchen utensils) upon arrival, which we will deliver to your flat. Please then make sure you read the guidance on self-isolating, so you are aware of what support services are available to you, including how to order food deliveries.

Find out more about how to come onto our campuses.

Police registration

For those that have a condition on their vignette to register with the Police, if you are living in Essex you will need to create an account when you arrive in the UK and request an appointment via the Essex Police website. Appointments are limited due to lockdown and they have a backlog due to COVID. Please don’t worry if you can’t register within seven days of arrival in the UK just make sure you’ve created your account and are waiting for an appointment. If you have a Police Registration Certificate and it needs to be updated you will also need to create and account and request an appointment. If you have any questions about registering you’ll need to contact Essex Police. Find out more about who is required to register and the process.

Right to study checks and collecting your BRP

When you arrive in the UK and have finished self-isolating, if required,  you’ll be able to arrange to get your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) from the place you’ve chosen and attend an Identity/Right to Study check. Please don’t worry about the usual time limits for BRP collection, due to Covid-19 we can keep hold of your BRP much longer. If you are collecting your BRP at the Colchester or Loughton Campus see our website for more information.

Full details about self-isolation are in government guidance on how to self-isolate on arrival in the UK.


The UK’s student Immigration Rules have changed. Read our immigration pages for information about the new rules and applying for a visa to study with us.

Money matters

Before travelling overseas, it is important to notify your bank that you will be using your debit or credit card abroad to make payments. This reduces the likelihood of your bank card being blocked which could delay your registration process. If you are paying your own tuition fees, you should also ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay your first terms fees. 



We strongly recommend you arrange travel insurance before you leave your home country to cover you throughout your studies in the UK. Make sure your insurance covers repatriation of you and any dependants to your home country, should it become necessary, this will not be covered by the UK’s National Health Service in any circumstances and is expensive.

Lots of students choose to visit other countries during University vacations or as part of their studies, make sure your travel insurance covers you for worldwide travel and for the things you want to do whilst you are there.

Personal belongings

It is important that you take out insurance against the loss or theft of personal belongings including any cash funds.

If you will be living in University accommodation standard contents cover has been arranged for you with Endsleigh Insurance that will cover your belongings whilst they are in your room. We recommend you check the policy details including what’s covered, you will be able to increase the cover if you would like to.

Insurance companies

There are many different insurance providers in the UK who offer various types of policies. Before taking out insurance make sure the company is regulated by checking the Financial Services Register. Check the policy wording and make sure it offers you the cover you require.

Endsleigh Insurance was originally set up by the National Union of Students. They offer many different types of insurance policies for students including one for international students studying in the UK that may be of interest to you.


There are some services and treatments that are carried out at an NHS hospital that are exempt from charges and are free to everyone, including temporary visitors to the UK.

If you are from outside the UK read our healthcare web pages for more information about entitlement to free NHS care, this will depend on your arrival date and UK immigration status.

Our University provides advice and guidance about your health and wellbeing and you will have access to many support services whilst you are studying with us. After your arrival in the UK you will need to register with a local doctor, also known as a GP (General Practitioner), they will provide you with your NHS number.

Safety and security

  • Health and safety information and advice
  • Advice from the British Council - The British Council has created a downloadable guide 'Creating Confidence' to help international students prepare for their time in the UK. It highlights some safety and security issues that international students should be aware of and lists helpful contact information.

Download Creating Confidence by The British Council

Support with your English skills

If your first language isn’t English, our Skills for Success team will invite you to register onto Academic English Support classes. You will receive an email with the details of modules available in the Autumn term and the link to the AES Registration survey where you can identify which modules you would like to be enrolled onto. The Academic English Support classes aim to help you achieve higher marks through improving your English language skills. Further information can be found on the Skills for Success webpages.

If you have any questions, please contact askthehub@essex.ac.uk

Prepare to study and live in the UK - online course

The British Council has an online course designed to benefit international students who have been accepted to study at a UK university. The course will provide you with helpful information, support, and study skills for higher education, whilst giving you a taste of life in the UK. 

Students moving in to campus
Advice for applicants

Concerned about what the impact of COVID-19 means both for your university application and, for your university experience when you start in the autumn? We are working hard to ensure that you are able to start with us– in whatever way possible.

Read our COVID-19 guidance for applicants