You’ll need to be in the UK to open a bank account.
Proof of your identity:
- your passport or;
- if you are from the EEA. your national identity card (please be aware that some ID cards are not acceptable).
Non-EEA students – proof of your UK immigration status
- a valid visa/immigration document – vignette* in your passport or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
*Please note, if you were issued with a vignette (entry clearance sticker) that was valid for 30 days, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) before you can open a bank account.
You may not be able to open a UK bank account if your visa is valid for less than 6 months, unless you are going onto further study in the UK.
Bank Letter (Letter of introduction for banking facilities) - for international students only
Most banks will also require a letter of introduction from our University (a bank letter), which must be in exactly the same name as your passport and visa (if applicable).
When you can request a bank letter from us:
- at the main registration events including during late registration.
- once you’re registered you can make your request online and pick it up from your Student Services Hub or you can ask for one in person at your Student Services Hub.
What you’ll need:
- the name and address of the bank and;
- your registration card to collect your letter
Please note, we will only be able to produce one letter so it’s important you know which bank you want to open your account with.
We can’t produce bank letters for students of the Edge Hotel School or the University of Essex International College, please go to your administration office to make your request.