Budgeting and working while studying

National Student Money Week

Each year, staff in Funding team up with SU Advice to bring you information, advice and guidance on all things money related and to help you make your money go further. Our event is sponsored by Blackbullion who support Universities across the country in raising awareness of the useful tools and tips to help you manage your money more effectively.

There are activities, competitions and prizes for you to get involved with across each of our campuses.

Find out more about National Student Money Week,  3 - 7 February 2020 (.docx)

Money management

Need advice about taking control of your money? Ensure you keep your finances on track by taking part in online money management modules from Blackbullion.

Blackbullion is an easy-to-use resource designed to help you take control of your financial future. You'll develop your money management skills and maximise the value of bursaries and other financial aid.

Available free of charge to all students and staff, just register with your University of Essex email address. If who don’t yet have a University email address, you can use the University Code 'ESSEXOD'. Modules available include:

  • pre-entry
  • getting started
  • budgeting
  • debt
  • saving
  • graduation
  • credit score

Working while studying

Many students choose to work part-time to supplement their income. Working during your course can also give you excellent skills and experience to boost your CV. Our Student Services Hub can help you find part-time work. There are also many opportunities to work in paid jobs on campus.

If you're an international student, please read our information on working in the UK for international students before you start looking for a job. The country you're from and your visa type will determine whether or not you can work in the UK.

Living off campus

SU Advice can advise you about renting in the private sector, including what bills or other payments you may be responsible for. Get in touch with SU Homes if you need help finding private sector accommodation.

Vehicle insurance while attending a University course or a placement

Students should be aware that the most basic form of vehicle insurance cover (social, domestic and pleasure) is unlikely to include cover for driving to and from the University every day to study or to the location of a work placement.

Instead, a policy that includes travel to and from a usual place of work/business (commute) is likely to include travel to and from the University/usual place of study.

In cases where students will be driving to any place other than their usual place of study/work, it is likely that an additional 'business use' extension to their insurance policy will also be needed to cover them for this type of journey. For example, when driving to the station to go to London for a seminar or driving to Southend when they are usually based in Colchester.

For more information on vehicle insurance, please contact the University's Insurance Officer at insurance@essex.ac.uk.

Get help

Complete our funding enquiry form (applicants and current students only) for help and advice, if you:

  • are having problems applying for your statutory funding
  • have any questions about what you can apply for

Debt and hardship funds

We provide information about managing debt. Hardship loans are also available if you're experiencing financial difficulty:

Student Services Hub
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.