Managing debt

If you are already in serious financial difficulty, don't wait to contact us - complete our enquiry form (applicants and current students only) as soon as possible.

Types of debt

Priority debts

Some debts are classed as priority debts because the consequences of not paying are more serious. Rent arrears, gas or electricity arrears, council tax arrears and court fines are all priority debts which should be repaid first.

Student account overdraft

Most student accounts offer a free overdraft while you are still a student and for a fixed time after you leave University. After this, you start to pay interest and may incur bank charges. The overdraft facility on student accounts can be a useful tool to help manage your money and to access extra funds while you are at University. Make sure you always check the terms and conditions before signing up to any bank account.

Student loan debt

You might have to pay back some or all of your student loans after you leave your course. If you're being asked to pay back some or all of your student loan or grant now (for example, because you have intermitted) you can seek advice by completing our funding enquiry form (applicants and current students only).

Tuition fee debt

Tuition fees are charged according to the tuition fee payment and liability policy (.pdf). If you have unpaid tuition fees you might not be able to continue on your course. Contact your Student Services Hub to make a payment, or tell us if you are not able to pay in time.

Accommodation fees debt

The University's accommodation charges become overdue and late charges apply if not paid by the applicable payment date. If you still don't pay, further action could be taken. Please contact your Student Services Hub if you are having difficulty paying.

Payday loan

Our advice is simple - don't!

Payday loans are high-interest, short term loans. Interest charges can build up very quickly and you usually have to agree to let the lender take money straight from your bank account. Consider requesting a loan from the SU Advice Centre instead.

You can read about payday loans on the Money Advice Service website. If you have already taken out a payday loan, the Money Advice Service have specific guidance and advice to help you.

Tackling your debts

External sources of advice

There are many organisations that offer free and independent advice to help you deal with debt problems.

Beware of companies and registered charities that offer to buy, consolidate, or write off any of your debts.

Experiencing financial hardship?

Here’s where you can get help if you are experiencing financial difficulty

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.