Claiming benefits

Who can claim

Student with children

If you have children living with you then you may be entitled to additional student funding and some benefits. If you will be joining us on a full-time course, our factsheets will help you prepare:

Part-time students

Part-time students are not excluded from claiming welfare benefits. However, if you are applying as a jobseeker you will still need to comply with any conditions and Jobcentre requirements, such as meeting with an adviser, looking for work and taking a job if offered one.

Disabled students

If you are a full-time student in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you should inform the Department for Work and Pensions that you are starting a course of full-time study. This should not affect your disability benefit.

You may be able to apply for additional benefits while studying. If you'll be studying a full-time undergraduate course then our factsheet provides further information. If you are starting postgraduate study and have questions about your benefits please complete our funding enquiry form (applicants and current students only).

Students getting certain non-means-tested disability benefits such as Personal Independence Payment may also be eligible to receive a one-off £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment in Summer 2023. £150 Disability Cost of Living Payments begin this month

Some intermitting students

Students who are waiting to return from an intermission for medical reasons or due to caring responsibilities may be able to claim benefits from the date they recover, or their caring responsibilities come to an end, up to the date the course resumes. If you would like advice please complete our funding enquiry form (applicants and current students only).


Please seek specialist advice if you are a student who is a pensioner.

Where to get help

Advice about making benefit claims or changes in circumstances for benefit claimants can be sought from your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Disabled students can ring the helpline for students at Disability Rights UK.

Further information

Information about benefits for higher education students is provided by:

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.