Many students experience symptoms of anxiety, low mood and depression whilst they are at university. As university life can be demanding and stressful, it’s normal to feel low and experience anxiety. Sometimes, these feelings can occur for a short period, or they can re-occur more often and last a longer time. The information below will detail the support available to you if you feel anxious, low or depressed.

Symptoms of depression

  • Persistent low mood
  • Tearfulness
  • Sleep disturbance
  • Anxiety
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Feelings of hopelessness

Symptoms of anxiety

Physical effects of anxiety: including a churning feeling in your stomach, feeling light-headed, feeling restless, headaches, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, sweating, sleep issues, nausea, and having panic attacks 

Mental effects of anxiety: including feeling tense or nervous, having a sense of dread, feeling that you are unable to stop worrying, worrying about when your anxiety may flare up, worrying about things that may happen in the future, and low mood and depression 

Getting help 

If you feel that some of the above symptoms of anxiety and/or low mood and depression are occurring more frequently, or impacting your daily life, we strongly encourage you to seek professional support. 

Doctors/GPs are trained and experienced in assessing, treating and managing anxiety and low mood, so please do make an appointment to see them when you can.

We also encourage you to speak with the Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service (SWIS)Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service (SWIS)Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service (SWIS) so that a member of the service can provide you with support at university. Be assured that there is lots of help and support for your mental and emotional health

Further help

You may also want to look at organisations outside the University, such as:

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.