Study Abroad

Funding and finance

Torre Di Pisa Italy

Funding your time abroad 

There are a range of scholarships and funding opportunities available to give you a helping hand in your studies abroad. Find out what's available to you.

Essex Abroad on social media:

How much does studying abroad cost?

Studying abroad can be cheaper than at Essex, but it can also be more expensive – it really depends on the cost of living in the country you choose to go to. 

The tuition fees you'll pay to Essex whilst you're away are listed below, but it's also really important to consider all the other costs you’re likely to bear before and during your time abroad. Costs can vary between countries so thorough research should be done into each country and institution you're interested in to make sure your destination suits your budget.

Get some top tips from Antonella about how to budget for your year abroad.

Study abroad tuition fees

2023-2024 entry  

If you start your undergraduate degree in 2023-2024, the following fees will apply when you go abroad.

If you spend a full year abroad:
  • you will pay 15% tuition fees to Essex for that year
  • you won't pay any tuition fees to your host university
If you spend a term abroad:
  • you will pay tuition fees to Essex
  • you won't pay tuition fees to your host university

2022-2023 entry

If you start your undergraduate degree in 2022-2023, the following fees will apply when you go abroad:

If you spend a full year abroad:
  • you'll pay 15% of your tuition fee to Essex for that year

  • you won't pay any tuition fees to your host university

If you spend a term abroad:
  • you will pay tuition fees to Essex

  • you won't pay tuition fees to your host university

Nina Beckmann Gámez sitting on a high peak above a beach and blue sea, looking back towards the camera
“Go for it. Try everything you can, whether you are afraid of it or not, whether you are good at it or not."

Read about Nina's life-changing year abroad in an island called Florianopolis, South America.

Read more

Funding from other organisations and country specific funding

Student Finance England

It's important to apply for Student Finance as early as possible if you're planning on studying abroad.

Tuition Fee Loan

You're entitled to receive your Tuition Fee Loan during the year or term you study abroad.

Maintenance Loan

You're entitled to receive your Maintenance Loan during the year or term you study abroad.

Travel Grant

You may get a travel grant to cover some of your travel expenses if you normally live in England and you're:

  • Studying abroad
  • Studying abroad or attending a placement as part of ERASMUS scheme
  • Attending an unpaid placement at an overseas institution and undertaking research

You don’t have to pay back a travel grant. There are rules on eligibility and how much you’ll get. You must pay the first £303 of your travel costs - and your travel grant will be reduced by £1 for each £8.73 of household income over £39,796.

You can apply for:

  • up to 3 return journeys between your home and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad
  • help with essential expenses, medical insurance and travel visas

You may be able to apply for your children’s travel costs if you’re a single parent.  You can find out more about the travel grant in this handy FAQ guide provided by Student Finance England. You can also visit the travel grant website to find out everything you need to know.

Various - not country specific

ISEP Scholarships

ISEP have a number of scholarships that you can apply for directly. To find out more and apply visit the ISEP scholarships webpage.

Jack's Flight Club Study Abroad Grant

The Jack’s Flight Club study abroad grant is open to any citizen and/or resident of the UK & Ireland, who is enrolled full time in an accredited University and will be studying abroad. Grants of over £500 are awarded to two successful applicants. We're not sure if this will be offered in the future, so do check the website for more details.

John Speak Language Trust

Awards of up to £1870 are open to natural born British citizens over the age of 18 who have a basic knowledge of a foreign language (GCSE minimum) and would like to study or work abroad to gain deeper understanding and knowledge of that language and culture to enhance their career prospects.  Visit the John Speak Language Trust website to find out more and apply 

Sir Philip Reckitt Educational Grant

The Sir Philip Reckitt Educational Trust (SPRET) aims to help people in the East Riding of Yorkshire and Norfolk expand their educational horizons. The Trust pays grants towards travel & subsistence and helps to fund projects abroad & in the UK. The amount awarded varies.

The Anglo-Tefl Scholarship

Get 120 hours of accredited TEFL English language teacher training and then spend 3 weeks abroad gaining practical experience. Not only is this paid for but it then qualifies you to go and work abroad anywhere in the world. Find out more and apply now.

The Global Study Awards

The Global Study Awards are supported by the International Student Identity Card Association (ISIC), British Council IELTS and StudyPortals – and aim to encourage more students to study overseas in order to further intercultural understanding and exchange. There is a £10,000 award.


Gerald Frank Brown Scholarship

The Gerald Frank Brown Scholarship aims to financially support students from a qualifying university in the European Union to study on exchange at the University of Western Australia.


University of Nottingham Ningbo China – exchange scholarships

The University of Nottingham Ningbo China offer several scholarships for exchange students:

  • (UNNC) Mobility Scholarships - 6,000 RMB, approximately £712
  • Ningbo International Student Government Scholarships for Exchange Students - 3,000 RMB per semester,  approximately £356
  • The Global Ambassador Scholarship for incoming exchange students - 5000 RMB, approximately £550


Entente Cordiale Scholarship

The Entente Cordiale Scholarship Scheme is a prestigious bi-lateral award scheme that funds British postgraduate students who want to study in France and French students who want to study in the UK for a period of one year, or between three to six months.

Applications usually close in Mid April.


DAAD  - German Academic Exchange Service

DAAD offer various scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students.



JASSO offers scholarships for international students who are accepted by a Japanese university under a student exchange agreement. Successful students can receive a monthly scholarship of 80,000 JPY, approximately £617. Your host university in Japan will contact you if you are eligible to receive the scholarship and provide details on how to apply.

Daiwa Foundation

The Daiwa Scholarship is a unique 19-month programme of language study, work placement and homestay in Japan, following a month of Japanese language tuition in the UK. No experience of Japanese is required.  The application usually closes in December.

Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships

Applicants must by UK citizens and be under the age of 21 in April of the year they wish to depart. You must have completed 12 years of education. Find out more and apply.


Merit Award for International Students

On behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID) invites foreign citizens who are interested in studying for a specialization, master’s degree or doctorate, conducting graduate or postdoctoral research, or taking part in an undergraduate or graduate-level academic mobility program, to participate in the Mexican Government Scholarship Program for International Students.



The DUO-Singapore Fellowship Programme is awarded by the Singapore government to promote academic exchanges between full-time undergraduate students who are Singapore(or ASEAN citizens) and students from universities in European ASEM member countries. Students spending a year at Nanyang Technological University may be eligible.

South Korea


DUO-Korea Fellowship Programme aims to promote exchanges of people between Korea and European countries. The host university in South Korea will contact you if you are eligible to apply.



SEMP is the Swiss Programme for Erasmus+ for higher education. As a SEMP incoming student, you will receive a mobility grant from the Swiss government. This ranges from CHF 380-440 a month (approximately £318-£368) depending on your country of origin.



DUO-Thailand Fellowship Programme aims to enhance a balanced mobility of students between Thailand and 30 ASEM member states in Europe by supporting paired-based and two-way study abroad exchanges. A scholarship of up to €800 per month, for four months. Your host university in Thailand will be in touch if you're eligible to apply.


BEST (BUNAC Educational Scholarship Trust) Scholarships

The BEST (BUNAC Educational Scholarship Trust) scholarships offer financial assistance to eligible applicants who are looking to undertake postgraduate study in the USA or Canada. They are funded by the BEST Scholarship Trust which is an independent trust administered by BUNAC on behalf of the BEST trustees.


As part of the Fulbright Foreign Student programme, our Postgraduate Awards provide the only scholarships available for academic work in any graduate programme at any accredited US university.

Thouron Award

UUKi are delighted to continue to be a partner of  the Thouron Award, providing full funding for up to 10 British Graduates of UK universities to study a full-time postgraduate programme at one of the 12 graduate schools at the prestigious University of Pennsylvania. The deadline for applications is 01 November each year and all information can be found at the Thouron Award website. Any queries can be directed to


Get in touch
Essex Abroad Funding For any funding related query please contact the team on the details below.