Returning student registration

As a returning student, you need to register at the start of each academic year before you start attending the next year of your course. This ensures that you have access to University resources and that we know you want to continue and can open your student record.

Students returning from a period of intermission are also required to register in-person. You will receive an email before you are due to return with further information.

New student registration

Are you a new student registering to start a new course? We can provide you with help and advice about what you need to do before you arrive and what you need to bring with you to your registration event.

Students with a Tier 4 visa

As a Tier 4 visa holder, you are also required to provide your travel documents each academic year before you are fully registered for the next year of your course.

Please bring the following documents to complete your registration:

  • passport/visa/BRP/travel documents
  • documents relating to how you are paying your tuition fees (if you're self-funded, you will need to pay at least one term's tuition fees before you can register)

Read more about visa checks at registration.

Where to bring your documents

  • Colchester Campus - Student Services Hub on the first floor of the Silberrad Student Centre.
  • Southend Campus - Student Services Hub on the second floor of The Forum.
  • Loughton Campus - Student Services Hub on the ground floor of Hatfields House.


Things you need to know

Paying your tuition fee

You can pay your fee:

  1. online
  2. in person on campus
  3. by bank transfer - please note that this can take up to ten days to complete.

You must make a payment of at least one term's tuition fee before you can re-register, even if you intend to pay your fee when you arrive

How to pay your tuition fee

Student loans and grants

Undergraduate (UK/EEA) students

If you have applied for a student loan and/or Government grant you will receive information directly from Student Finance England during the summer. If you are to receive a full tuition fee loan you will not be required to make a payment to the University. If you are required to pay some or all of your tuition fees you will receive an invoice from the University, once you have completed registration. The invoice will detail the amount due, the payment options (either in full or by instalments) and the date the payment(s) must be made.

How to pay your tuition fee

If you have not been assessed by Student Finance England at the time of registration, you should still complete Online Registration and commence your studies for the year. If you have not been assessed by the time the tuition fee payments are due (as detailed in the invoice issued to you), they must be paid by the due date and when your assessment has been completed the University will refund any overpayments to you.

Important note

If you have received a confirmation letter from Student Finance England stating that you must take it to registration at the University of Essex, you do not need to do this.

Once you have completed Online Registration we will send an electronic confirmation to Student Finance England and they will release any payments due to you directly into your bank account. Please allow one week for the payment to be made to you. If we have any questions we will contact you directly and may need to see the letter from Student Finance England at this time.

International EEA (Non-European Economic Area) students visa requirements

As a licensed Tier 4 sponsor, the University must ensure that all non-EEA students have valid immigration permission that allows study with us. We are required to check your passport and UK visa and must keep a copy of these documents.

Replacement registration cards

Replacement cards can be requested direct from your Student Services Hub. Please bring with you a form of identification. There is a charge of £5 for this service.

Stolen registration cards

Your card will be replaced free of charge only on production of a police crime number. At the Southend Campus, replacement registration cards should be requested from the Student Administration section by going to the reception area on the second floor of the The Forum. At the Loughton Campus, please email your request for a replacement registration card to and your card should be ready to collect after 7 days from the ground floor of Hatfields House.

If you need help

If you have problems registering, please contact us at immediately so that we can try to resolve them for you.

If you need any further help and advice about registering for the next year of your course, please contact the Student Services Hub who will be happy to advise you.

You belong

The University of Essex celebrates diversity and challenges inequality. We're committed to sustaining an inclusive and diverse community where everyone can benefit from being a member of it and opportunities are made available to all.

We encourage you to take a good look around and bookmark the Students website. You'll find useful and important information on student communities, access and disability, health and wellbeing and much more!

Student Services Hub
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.