Measles, mumps and rubella

Measles and mumps are highly infectious, a cough or a sneeze can spread the virus over a wide area. It particularly spreads among the student population because of greater social mixing and living in close proximity.

The diseases

Measles, Mumps and Rubella are diseases with serious complications:

  • Measles has various symptoms followed by a red-brown spotty rash that develops a few days later
  • Mumps is most recognisable by the painful swellings at the side of the face under the ears, read more about the symptoms of mumps.
  • Rubella (German Measles) often produces a red-pink rash as one of the symptoms of rubella

When to seek medical help

If you believe you have contracted measles or mumps, the best advice is to see your doctor. It is best not to mix with others until recovered.

Please let the University know as soon as you have a diagnosis so they are able to take the appropriate actions.

Emergencies and out-of-hours help

If you need medical advice outside of surgery opening hours, call NHS advice on 111.

Getting vaccinated

MMR is the common name for the mumps, measles and rubella vaccination, you are strongly advised to have the MMR vaccination. This is especially important if you are going to be living in close contact with lots of other students in University-owned accommodation. If, for any reason, it is not possible for you to have the vaccination before you arrive at University, you should inform your new local doctor when you register with them.

The vaccine

You need two doses of MMR to be protected against mumps. MMR was introduced in 1988, with a second dose being introduced in 1996. Some teenagers and young people have not had two doses of MMR. This has led to several outbreaks of mumps in young people in recent years.

If you have never had the MMR vaccine, you should have one dose now and another after one month. For those of you who are not sure if you have had your second dose – having more than two will not do any harm - so it is better to have it than not.

Student Services Hub
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.