Alcohol and drugs

Life on campus offers many opportunities for socialising in a range of venues, including those serving alcohol and those which don’t. You may encounter being around other substances too, and it is important keep yourself and your friends safe. You can get the facts and advice about drinking alcohol.

If you have concerns about your drug and/or alcohol use, it’s a good idea to seek support and have a chat. There is plenty of support available::

Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not normally be accepted as a mitigating factor or an excuse for behaviour leading to breaches of the Student Code of Conduct and you may be referred to a drug and alcohol awareness course as part of your sanction.

Help and support with Substance Misuse

Open Road – Colchester Campus

Open Road is a charity who support people with substance misuse issues and help people on their road to recovery across Essex. Open Road is partnering with the University of Essex to offer students support with their substance use and increasing students’ knowledge around different types of substances and their respective effects.

Open Road provides 1:1 support with a substance misuse specialist for students attending the Colchester Campus struggling with their use of substances. This service complements the Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service as well as other university teams; and is completely confidential, providing access to an open and non-judgemental discussion about substances.

Refer for support

  • Wellbeing drop-in: Students can speak to a Wellbeing Assessor for support and advice at our wellbeing drop-in sessions at the Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Service desk on the 1st floor of the Silberrad Student Centre, Colchester Campus, Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm. Wellbeing Assessors are able to refer students over for Substance Misuse support.
  • Self-refer: Students can also self-refer by contacting and requesting support

Further information and support

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.