Fire caused by cooking is the most serious risk to all students living in accommodation. Over the years a number of serious and a substantial number of minor fires have been caused by students cooking.
The University therefore gives the following advice to all students in accommodation.
You should not leave cooking unattended. Fires are often caused by oil whilst frying catching fire due to overheating when left unattended. Similarly fires have been caused by fat catching fire when left under grills. We would also not recommend cooking when you arrive home after a night out, as you are more likely to be tired and less vigilant.
Deep fat frying is prohibited in University owned or administered residential accommodation. This is the cooking method in which food is submerged in any hot fat/oil, as opposed to the shallow oil used in conventional frying done in a frying pan. This includes the use of a deep fat fryer, chip pan or any heated pot where food is submerged in fat/oil.
Grill pans and cookers must be kept free from fat and food debris. Grease and fat residues have caused fires due to overheating particularly when cookers have been left switched on inadvertently and unattended.
Toasters are considered a fire risk, therefore, we do not encourage students to use these. If you do decide to use a toaster, please ensure that it is turned off after use and is cleaned of debris regularly.
Read instructions on pre-packed food and always remove food wrappings before cooking as these wrappings can ignite and cause fires in cookers.
If a fire occurs use the fire blanket found in your flat and carefully lay it over the fire. This will control it until expert assistance can be summoned. The fire alarm should always be sounded and the building evacuated. Never remove the fire blanket, leave it to the security staff.
Minor fires resulting in burnt food only will not warrant sounding the alarm. However, a report must be made to the Information Desk to allow the cookers to be checked for electrical safety before they are put back into use.
No cooking of any kind is permitted in your room.