Accommodation complaints

We aim to provide you with accommodation which is clean, safe and well maintained and allocated as set out in our Allocation Policy (.pdf).

We aim to provide you with an excellent service at all times, so we need you to tell us if we have made a mistake. This procedure explains how you can do this, and how we will deal with your complaint.

Contact us

If you have any concerns about the service you've received from us, you should raise them with a member of staff in the relevant team as soon as possible. We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly and informally.

Cleaning and caretaking complaints

South Courts, The Towers, The Houses and Wolfson Court

The Meadows, The Copse, and University Quays

University Square, Southend

Repairs and maintenance complaints

South Courts, The Towers, The Houses and Wolfson Court

The Meadows, The Copse, and University Quays

University Square, Southend

Allocation of rooms, policy and complaints about contractual matters

Colchester and University Square, Southend


Make a formal complaint

If you don't believe your complaint has been dealt with correctly, you can ask the relevant manager to look into your complaint formally. You can make a formal complaint in person, letter, telephone or email via the Student Services Hub. Please quote your full name and PRID or PG number on all correspondence.

We will investigate your complaint and send you an email response within 10 working days. Sometimes we will need another department to provide us with information to investigate your complaint fully (Estates Management, for example). If this is the case, we will let you know if your complaint will take longer than 10 working days to respond to.

University of Essex complaints procedure

We hope that your complaint will have been resolved by using our complaints process. If you remain dissatisfied that your complaint has not been dealt with correctly, the University has a separate Complaints Procedure for Students for serious complaints or for complaints that remain unresolved.

Complaints about a member of staff

If your complaint is about a member of staff, you can ask to speak to their manager directly. If you make a complaint about a member of staff you must be prepared to make a formal statement and to attend any disciplinary hearing that might result.

Complaints about another student

We may need to refer you to your Student Services Hub if your complaint is about another student.

Complaints about private sector housing

Contact the Students' Union service SU Homes if your complaint is about private sector housing.

Further information

The Students' Union offer an independent advice service, called SU Advice. You can contact them to discuss any problem or complaint which you feel isn't being resolved.

Staff in the Advice Centre may contact Accommodation Essex on your behalf or represent or support you in any meeting with accommodation staff.