Working for us - International employees

Joining us from overseas

We truly are an international institution

With a long history of welcoming students and staff from across the world. Wherever you are from, you will feel at home with us.

This guide will help you if you're coming to work for the University from overseas or are thinking of applying for a role here – from how to get a visa to finding somewhere to live.

Working in the UK

Right to work in the UK

The University has a legal responsibility to ensure that all employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to the University verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.

If you don't already have the legal right to work in the UK, you are still welcome to apply for certain jobs at the University. Our job adverts will say whether we can consider sponsoring overseas candidates. The most common route through which you can gain the right to work in the UK is through the points-based system, although there are other possible routes depending on any family or ancestral links you may have with the UK. If you are made an offer of employment by the University and you intend to seek permission to work in the UK via a Skilled Worker visa (which is the main route for skilled workers), you must first obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from the University. We strongly recommend that you consult the visa section of the Home Office webpages to determine your eligibility for a UK visa.

Any job application you submit to us will be assessed using criteria based on the knowledge, skills and experience required for the relevant post. You will not be treated less favourably than another applicant on the grounds of national origin. However, any offer of employment we make to you will be conditional upon you gaining permission to work in the UK. By law, you will not be able to start working for us until you are able to provide evidence that this permission has been granted.

Applying for a visa

If you are offered a job at the University as a non-settled worker and are being sponsored, you will need to apply for a visa. One of our Resourcing Advisers will explain the process to you and guide you through the various stages. The University will apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship for you as the first part of the visa application process.

Information on different visa types, costs and processes is available on the UK government website.

The University offers a loan facility to cover the cost of visa fees for staff. The loan is repayable through your salary.