International Employees - Joining Essex from Overseas

Police and Healthcare

Two nurses

Registering with the Police

Your entry clearance or work permit will normally tell you whether you need to register with the police. Where this is the case, you must register within 7 days of your arrival in the UK.

To register with the police, follow the advice outlined on the Essex Police website


Registering for healthcare

The National Health Service (NHS), funded primarily by taxation, provides free or low-cost healthcare to all legal residents of the U.K. Medications are also subsidised and prescriptions may be free when situations warrant.

All visitors to the UK are entitled to some treatment from the NHS although what is covered free of charge will vary depending on where you are from and the treatment required. Depending on your nationality, you may be required to pay the NHS surcharge as part of the visa process. This will allow you to access NHS services once you arrive in the UK.

You can find out more information on the NHS website.

It is very important to register with your local doctor (a ‘general practitioner’ or ‘GP’) soon after your move to the UK. Do not wait until you are ill. You can find out how to do this on the NHS Choices website.

Getting medical care if you aren't registered with a doctor

If you're not registered with a doctor but require a medical appointment, you can get treatment from any local GP practice (medical practice) within 14 days of arriving in the country. GP practice opening hours can vary and they're normally closed over the weekend.

Emergency medical services

The telephone number for emergency medical care services in the UK is 999, this number is only to be used for life threatening conditions. If you need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation, call 111, the NHS non-emergency service.

Registering with a dentist

You should also register with a dentist as soon as possible. Dental services are provided by the NHS but you may need to join a waiting list. You can also opt for private dental treatment and many dental practices take a mixture of NHS and private patients. Private treatment can be paid for by on a per treatment basis or via dental insurance schemes. Information on private dental insurance can be found by talking to your local dental practice.

You can find a local dentist on the NHS Choices website. Information for urgent dental treatment can be found on the NHS Dental Services webpage.