International Employees - Joining Essex from Overseas

Getting around

Lots of cars in a traffic jam on a bridge

Driving and public transport

One of the first things you may notice when you arrive in the UK is that we drive on the left hand side of the road, and our cars are right hand drive. This can take some getting used to.

Anyone driving in the UK must:

  • have a valid, current licence to drive the relevant type of vehicle
  • be covered by insurance to drive the specific vehicle
  • have valid road tax
  • have a valid MOT certificate for the vehicle


You can drive in the UK for a limited time on an overseas driving licence, after which time you will need to apply for a UK driving licence. The driving in GB interactive tool will tell you how long you can drive for in the UK before you will have to apply for a new licence. You may have to take another test before you are issued with a UK licence.

If you plan to bring your vehicle to the UK you may have to register it with a UK number plate. Further guidance is available on the Government website

If you do not currently hold a licence but would like to learn to drive in the UK you will need to apply for a provisional licence before you can start. This applies to cars and motorbikes.

You must have appropriate insurance to drive a vehicle in the UK. There are various levels of insurance cover available and the cost of each will vary depending on factors such as your age, how many miles you expect to drive, where you live and if you have had any accidents recently. The easiest way to check how much it would cost to insure a vehicle in the UK is to try a price comparison website such as comparethemarket or moneysupermarket.