How to apply
All funding applications for 2023-2024 must be submitted via Blackbullion, please see instructions below:
- Read the terms and conditions at the bottom of this page and check you meet the eligibility criteria before submitting an application
- You’ll need to submit your bank statements as part of your application so we can assess your financial difficulty. Students with UK bank accounts should read the Blackbullion guidance on Open Banking which is a fast a secure way to upload your statements. Students who chose not to use Open Baking should watch the video below on submitting bank statements manually (86% of applications are delayed due to incorrectly submitted bank statements).
- Create an account with Blackbullion using your Essex email account or login if you already have an account. (Note: Make sure you select the ‘University student’ option, rather than ‘applicant’ when you register) Don’t worry if your course is not listed on the application form. You can still register and apply without selecting a course
- Click the ‘Funds’ tab and select ‘Hardship Fund’ button
- Read the guidance, follow the instructions to complete the online application form and submit all the required evidence as outlined on the guidance document. Please also watch the video guide below before submitting any bank statements
- Submit your application and evidence
The University and other external organisations offer financial support to get you through your studies. Check out other ways of funding your studies:
The University offers a range of additional welfare support and guidance.