Hours of work
As a university, we recommend our students work no more than 15 hours per week, as any more can interfere with your studies. Where vacancies display hours of more than 15 per week, applications and acceptance of working hours are at your discretion.
Rates of pay
There are national minimum wage regulations in the UK, these are enforced through HM Revenue and Customs.
The rates change every April. The current national minimum wage rates as of 1 April 2020 are as follows:
- Aged 25 and over: £8.72 per hour
- Aged 21-24: £8.20 per hour
- Aged 18-20: £6.45 per hour
- Aged under 18: £4.55 per hour
- Apprentices: £4.15 per hour
All UK nationals would have been issued National Insurance (NI) number at 16 years of age.
To apply for a National Insurance number, you need to contact the National Insurance Number application line:
- Telephone 0800 141 2075 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm).
You will be advised to either complete and return a Fastpath Application Form or attend an interview at a Jobcentre Plus office.