How to apply
We have a limited number of vacant rooms available at our Colchester and Southend Campuses. If you have found a vacant room that you would like to move in to, you may request to do so. However please remember that the room may have already been allocated to another student and may not be available.
Unfortunately, room viewings are not available at the current time. If you decide to transfer to a vacant room you will have to accept the new room without viewing it.
If you have found an empty room or would like to enquire about what rooms are available, you will need to visit the Student Services Hub. Unfortunately, we cannot supply a list of rooms here, as this changes daily, so the team will be able to advise what rooms we have available, when you contact them about moving.
If you have found an empty room or would like to check availability, you contact reception or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All transfers within University-owned or administered accommodation have to be agreed and approved by Accommodation Essex.
Once the necessary checks have been made, we will contact you to confirm if your request has been approved and to make the necessary arrangements.
The charges for transferring to a vacant room are:
- £50 contract preparation fee (non-refundable): to clean your room and administrative charges
Vacant room terms and conditions
A room transfer will only be authorised if:
- you are fully registered
- you do not have any outstanding debt to the University
- you have not applied to withdraw/intermit from the University
- you have not already completed a room exchange/transfer during the
current term (students are only permitted to exchange/transfer once in a term) and
- If you are not being externally funded
- you have no outstanding disciplinary case against you relating to accommodation
Please note: due to the number of students arriving
at the start of the academic year, room transfers are
not available until the second week of term.