Transfer to a vacant room

Applications for transfer to vacant room for Colchester and Southend are now open.

How to apply

We have a limited number of vacant rooms available at our Colchester and Southend Campuses. If you have found a vacant room that you would like to move in to, you may request to do so. However please remember that the room may have already been allocated to another student and may not be available. 

Unfortunately, room viewings are not available at the current time. If you decide to transfer to a vacant room you will have to accept the new room without viewing it.

Colchester transfers

If you have found an empty room or would like to enquire about what rooms are available, you will need to visit the Student Services Hub. Unfortunately, we cannot supply a list of rooms here, as this changes daily, so the team will be able to advise what rooms we have available, when you contact them about moving.

Southend transfers

If you have found an empty room or would like to check availability, you contact reception or email

Transfer process

All transfers within University-owned or administered accommodation have to be agreed and approved by Accommodation Essex.

A member of the SIT in Colchester or the Receptionist at Southend, depending on your location, will go through the application questions with you and submit this to the Accommodation Team. Your application will be reviewed and a member of the Accommodation team will email you with a decision within 1 working day to confirm if your application has been approved or not and what the next steps are.  Unfortunately, you cannot move on the same day as you submit the application. 


The charges for transferring to a vacant room are:

  • £50 contract preparation fee (non-refundable): to clean your room and administrative charges

Vacant room terms and conditions

A room transfer will only be authorised if:

  • you are fully registered
  • you do not have any outstanding debt to the University
  • you have not applied to withdraw/intermit from the University
  • you have not already completed a room exchange/transfer during the current term (students are only permitted to exchange/transfer once in a term) and
  • If you are not being externally funded
  • you have no outstanding disciplinary case against you relating to accommodation

Please note: due to the number of students arriving at the start of the academic year, room transfers are not available until applications open at the start of November (Oct intake or start of February for Jan intake).

Student browsing online
Terms and Conditions of Residence

Our terms and conditions give details of the terms of your tenancy agreement. By accepting a room when it is offered you are accepting these terms and conditions and you will be entering into a legally binding contract.

student talking to support staff
Contact us

For enquiries about accommodation or about an application you're making, contact us at the Student Services Hub. Quote your full name and PRID or PG number on all correspondence.