Dyslexia and Specific Learning Differences (SpLD)

Supporting evidence

If you have a diagnostic report or information from your school/college, i.e. JCQ form8, access arrangements or EHCP please provide us with a copy via email: include@essex.ac.uk.

If you do not have this information, we can discuss a full assessment for dyslexia/dyspraxia once you are a registered student.

Dyslexia/Dyspraxia assessments

Getting an assessment

If you think you may have a SpLD such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia, or if you have been referred by your tutor, please contact us to discuss. We can explain the assessment process and answer any questions you may have.

Assessment process

If after discussion we feel you would benefit from a formal assessment, we can arrange this for you on campus. We will ask you to complete a questionnaire to give the assessor more information about the areas where you struggle. See assessment cost below.

Once you have completed and returned the questionnaire there is usually a short wait for an assessment (depending on availability this can be up to two months). We will contact you when we have an available assessment appointment.

The assessment can be in person or remote and usually takes between two-three hours.

Assessment costs

You will be required to pay £45 towards the assessment. The University will meet the additional cost of over £300 (payment is not required for apprenticeship students). The assessor will write a report with the findings. We will offer you a meeting to discuss the conclusions and any support that has been recommended.

Independent assessments

If you want an assessment outside the University, you will be responsible for the cost (usually £300 - £400). We advise you to select an educational psychologist or specialist teacher who is used to testing adults. For further information on assessors contact the British Psychological Society or the British Dyslexia Association.

Two woman talking at a helpdesk
Need help?

If you need any further help and advice, please contact or visit the Student Services Hub who will be happy to assist you.