There are a variety of skills and training opportunities available for postgraduate research students from Skills for Success, covering a range of aspects across the research and thesis writing process. We also run a dedicated English language support class for international PhD students.
Some of the services below are open to all students at the university, whilst others are specially tailored to research students. All are designed to help you develop your academic and language skills no matter what department you are attached to, or what stage you are at.
All services are free, and have no limits on the number of bookings.
- PhD Language Support - This module runs throughout the spring and summer periods, and offers a chance for international postgraduate research students to get support with all aspects of the research process. As well as offering structured support, the classes give students the chance to share and receive feedback on their work in progress, and build a community with other students. Contact email@example.com for details, or to register.
- Workshops - The Academic Skills workshop programme includes sessions run by Skills for Success, the Library, SWIS and DITS, and includes over 100 topics covering all aspects of your studies. All sessions can be booked via Careerhub and run throughout the year.
- 1:1s - Book an appointment with one of our tutors to talk about any aspect of your studies. Sessions are 20 minutes, and available throughout the year, including vacation periods.
Maths and Stats
- Workshops - Our workshop programme includes a range of maths and stats topics, including sessions on using software such as SPSS, R and Matlab, All sessions can be booked via Careerhub and run throughout the year.
- 1:1s - Book an appointment with one of our tutors to talk about the maths and statistics element of your studies. Sessions are 30 minutes, and available throughout the year, including vacation periods.