Listed below are the potential additional costs that Postgraduate Research Students may have to pay in addition to the standard fee when undertaking a research degree with us.
In some Schools/Departments/Centres, please note that additional fees are charged to cover direct costs related to the project, such as bench fees and the costs of consumables.
Where a research project will attract such fees, these will be detailed in the formal University offer letter. In other cases, there may some costs associated with your studies that are required in order for you to progress, alongside other costs that are not required but which you may wish to cover on a voluntary basis in order to support your studies.
All additional costs vary by department and, sometimes, by research area. Your department will be able to advise you about all possible additional costs associated with your studies.
- Bench Fees - dependent on Department and area of research
- Submission of theses for examinations - cost per thesis approx. £30-40 depending on length and number of colour pages
- Printing costs for poster presentations
- Submission of theses for re-examination - cost per thesis approx. £30-40 depending on length and number of colour pages
- Replacement student cards
- Most submissions to monitor progress are completed electronically but if paper copies are required then there would be a cost for this
- Books for study not available online or in the library- would vary by course
- Costs associated with research (ie fieldwork, incentives, meetings, access to data, recording equipment)
- Proofreading of thesis prior to submission for examination
- IT equipment/ software/hardware
- Conference Attendance (partially covered by Proficio)
- Training costs (not covered by Proficio)
- Subscription fees for online journals not available through the library
- Membership fees for Professional Bodies or Learned Societies
- Open Access publication charges