Continuing Professional Development

Statistical Analysis


The details
Statistical Analysis
15 credits
Level 7
No date available
Colchester Campus

For module start dates, view the 2023-24 Module Calendar (.docx)

High quality research is very important in modern health and social care and as such research training is an important component of our CPD provision.

This module is delivered online, and will introduce you to quantitative data analysis methods including basic and intermediate statistical concepts and procedures. You should take this module if you wish to deepen your understanding of quantitative research, or expect to engage in quantitative analysis in the future or as part of your dissertation.

The emphasis of the course is on practical applications, particularly in relation to health. The module does not cover mathematical concepts in depth although a small amount of elementary mathematics is inevitably required.

After the course you will be more knowledgeable about how to select appropriate statistical tests and methods of analysis and how to interpret statistical outputs. You will also have developed skills in the use of statistical analysis software.

This module fits well into our MSc Medical and Clinical Education.

Learning outcomes

By the end of the module the student will have:

  • Knowledge and understanding of the application of univariate and basic multivariate quantitative techniques.
  • The ability to prepare data to formulate suitable statistical models for problems.
  • The ability to analyse data via suitable statistical models and correctly interpret the results.
  • The ability to report the interpretation using appropriate reporting conventions.
  • The ability to assess the validity of suitable statistical models, and the associated limitations of using univariate and basic multivariate quantitative techniques.


Module Outline

The module covers the following themes:

  • Principles of data analysis, description and inference, and preparation of data for statistical testing.
  • Conducting uni-and bivariate analysis, tests of association and tests of difference, multivariate analysis and regression modelling.
  • Interpreting statistical output.

We understand that deciding where and what to study is a very important decision for you. We’ll make all reasonable efforts to provide you with the courses, services and facilities as described on our website. However, if we need to make material changes, for example due to significant disruption, or in response to COVID-19, we’ll let our applicants and students know as soon as possible.

Assessment strategy

This module will be 100% coursework and there will be two in class tests – one worth 20% and the other worth 80% of the module mark.

Fees and funding

Our CPD Funding page has more information on fees for our modules and potential funding sources.

What's next

We have guidance on making your application and the forms to download on our how to apply page.

Get in touch

If you require further details about this module, including future course dates, please email