How can athletes optimise their training and performance? How can individuals and communities improve their physical activity, health and wellbeing? Our inter-disciplinary team of scientists and practitioners will help you understand the role of physiology, psychology, biomechanics and nutrition in sport and exercise science.
On our MSci Sport and Exercise Science (Integrated Masters) course, you develop the same key skills as on our BSc Sport and Exercise Science course. These skills include:
- How and why different energy systems are deployed at different exercise intensities
- Biomechanical principles behind acute and chronic sporting injuries, and how these can be applied to prevent injuries
- The role of ergogenic aids in improving athletic performance
- How physical activity and nutrition can reduce the risk of cardio-metabolic disease
- The design and implementation of psychological skills training programmes
In addition, you achieve a Masters-level qualification and have the opportunity to investigate more advanced topics in sport and exercise science, specialising in one of the areas of research being undertaken within our School of Sport, Rehabilitation and Exercise Sciences, such as:
- The analysis of movement
- How extreme environments can affect human performance
- Paediatric exercise science
- Sport psychology
Our course allows you to gain practical hands-on experience in our specialist laboratory facilities, as well as learning the theoretical approaches. Alongside lectures, seminars, tutorials, and laboratory sessions, there are a range of online resources to support your learning.
The first two years provide you with the professional and scientific skills needed to conduct independent research projects in your final years. You also have the opportunity to work with our Human Performance Unit, which applies the latest science to analyse performance and help top athletes stay at the top of their game.
As such, the course provides you with the knowledge and experience of working with different client groups, and helps prepare you for a fulfilling career in a range of industries, especially sport, health and education.