After a Year Abroad in Milan and a Summer Internship in Edinburgh, no one can say that Accounting and Finance student Diogo hasn’t made the most of his time here at Essex Business School! We interviewed him to find out more.

Why did you choose to study at Essex Business School?

I was drawn to EBS for several reasons. Firstly, I appreciated the School’s emphasis on teaching critical thinking skills. Secondly, I found the diverse backgrounds of the teaching staff to be very appealing. Lastly, I admired the teachers' varied interests and passions within the field of business. As an Accounting and Finance student, I also had the opportunity to mix and mingle with Marketing and Management students, which I found to be quite advantageous.

I also really appreciate the flexibility of having optional modules that allow me to customize my studies towards the accounting side of my degree, rather than just focusing on finance. This has helped me prepare for my future career aspirations as I feel like I have more control over my learning and can pave my way towards achieving my goals.

Diogo in front of plants standing with his arms crossed

How was the move to the UK from Portugal?

Moving can be tough, but I'm happy to say that my move went well! The weather and food were a bit of a challenge at first, but I was able to adapt quickly by finding some Mediterranean ingredients and buying warmer clothes!

Can you tell us more about your Year Abroad?

My Year Abroad was one of the most rewarding experiences during my degree so far. It provided me with a chance to immerse myself in a different culture and learn valuable skills for my future. The best part about studying abroad was the flexibility it offered. I was able to choose modules outside of my regular course at Essex, as long as they complemented my degree. I opted for subjects such as banking, regulations, and law to broaden my knowledge and expand my career prospects.

Why did you choose Milan for your Year Abroad?

Continuing my study of European languages was important to me, and since I already had some background in Italian, I decided to consider Italy as one of my options. After conducting some research and receiving support from the Essex Abroad team, I finally chose Milan as my destination because of its international atmosphere, and Bocconi University stood out to me because of its unparalleled emphasis on finance, law, and management.

I would like to mention that the food in Milan is simply fantastic and is one of the things that I miss the most from my time there, along with my friends. Additionally, I got to experience the Aperitivo and Gelato cultures of Italy, which I would highly recommend to anyone visiting the country.

If you have no experience in other languages, will you manage a year abroad?

100%! Bocconi University offered all the modules in both Italian and English, I chose to take all my classes in English and opted for an additional Italian language course. Don't worry if you don't speak the local language - you can still live and learn in English abroad.

Can you tell us more about your summer internship?

Last summer, I was fortunate enough to secure an internship as an Asset Manager in Edinburgh. The opportunity allowed me to apply the skills I had acquired from both universities and provided invaluable experience. I highly recommend it to other undergraduate students to use the Summer before the final year to get some work experience.

What advice would you give to others applying to university and considering a year abroad?

I suggest that you make the most of your time at university. Attend classes, interact with peers, and enjoy yourself. While some individuals may prefer a 3-year degree, I think it is beneficial for everyone to take advantage of the year abroad option. This experience will allow you to meet new people, immerse yourself in a new culture, and gain knowledge in various fields.