After choosing to study BSc Business Management at Essex through the recommendation of a family member, George found his place in the Essex Blades Football Club and was elected as Football First Team Captain and Vice-President of the club.

Student George wearing a graduation gown and holding his diploma in front of a lake

George, who graduated from Essex with a first-class degree in BSc Business Management, was inspired to study Business because of his determination to one day be a manager. He says, “I wanted to further my knowledge on the field of management and learn new ways to motivate myself and be a point of motivation for people that may be working under me in a management environment”.

His desire to motivate others is further reflected by his role in the Essex Blades Football team. Alongside his studies George pushed himself to partake in the performance sport football programme where using those management skills, he has since been elected as the teams Football First Team Captain. Speaking on the experience of competing alongside studying a full-time degree, George said “it took up a lot of my free time and energy due to the physical and mental demands of competitive sport, but I was able to manage this, and receive a first-class degree.”

When he wasn’t out competing with football, George was in the classroom working on his goal of becoming a business manager. George took a particular interest in the psychology of people in the workplace, developing an interest in how workplace environments effect peoples work ethics.

“My favourite aspects of my course was looking at the psychology of management and learning what people require and need to feel comfortable in the workplace to produce higher levels of performance.”

Having thrived during his undergraduate degree and worked his way up to Football Captain, George plans to stay at Essex Business School to complete his masters in Banking and Finance.