Practice Educator Training (Social Work) PEPS1
The module is designed to provide a foundation in the role of Practice Educator including facilitating and assessing work-based learning through mentoring, supervision provision, training and other methods crucial to the learning and development of social work students.
The PE module is for social work practitioners looking to supervise and assess social work students during their first (70 day) placement within a social care related organisation. Registered social workers will undertake the responsibilities of a Stage One Practice Educator in accordance with the Practice Educator Professional Standards (PEPS) as previously developed by the College of Social Work (TCSW).
The module is linked to statements within the Professional Capabilities Framework (2013), the HCPC Statements of Proficiency, the Values and Ethics for Social Workers (2013) and Practice Educator Professional Standards (2013) – covering Domains A - D.
At the end of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the policies and standards of the relevant professional and regulatory bodies in relation to practice education and through application to a specific context, critically evaluate the implementation of these policies and standards.
- Critically explore, drawing upon evidence, the roles and responsibilities of a practice educator.
- Utilising reflective analysis, demonstrate advanced understanding and application of the knowledge, skills, values and behaviours required to facilitate the learning of others.
- Draw upon evidence to analyse and evaluate the impact and value of practice education to the care of service users, service delivery and professional development
Accreditation and professional recognition
On successful completion of the course students will be certified to practice as a Practice Educator in the learning, development and assessment of Level 5 Social Work Students.
Our expert staff
Experts with experience in being a Practice Educator, within the voluntary and statutory sector, will be involved in the delivery of the module throughout the timetable. We also have expert lecturers within our own team who contribute on key subject matters.
- Be 2 years post qualification and be registered with the HCPC as a Social Worker health and care professional in the discipline associated with their educational role and the students for whom they have assumed responsibility (i.e Registered Social Worker).
- Be in a position where they can support and facilitate the learning of others (as appropriate to the workplace) as part of their broader professional role including: students, peers, colleagues from other professions, support workers, unqualified workers, service users and carers.
- Take responsibility for acquiring and developing the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to facilitate and support the learning of others.
This module is designed to provide a supportive framework for the student to develop relevant knowledge, skills, and experience and to demonstrate achievement of the relevant practice education standards for their field of practice.
It is divided into 5 scheduled facilitated learning sessions based in the University and supervised practice including one observation in the student’s workplace, alongside independent learning.
We understand that deciding where and what to study is a very important decision for you. We’ll make all reasonable efforts to provide you with the courses, services and facilities as described on our website. However, if we need to make material changes, for example due to significant disruption, or in response to COVID-19, we’ll let our applicants and students know as soon as possible.
Achievement of the learning outcomes for this module will be assessed by Portfolio including a Reflective commentary based on a case study on the role of the Practice Educator.
Students will be assessed in their ability to meet the requirements of practice educator standards. This carries 100% weighting for the marks awarded for this module.
Fees and funding
If you require further details about this module, including future course dates, please email email@example.com.