Freedom of information complaints procedure

We will always acknowledge receipt of your request.

We will always do our best to get the information to you within the timescale. If for whatever reason there will be a delay we will always keep you informed and set a new deadline.

The University aims to comply fully with its obligations under Data Protection law, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) and the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR). The Information Assurance Manager has responsibility for ensuring compliance with the legislation.

You should contact the Freedom of Information Team if you have any concerns at all about any aspect of the management of personal data by the University, including your right to access data about you, or if you feel the service you receive as part of an FOI or EIR request doesn’t meet your expectations or our aims of providing a simple, efficient and effective service.

If you still feel your complaint has not been dealt with sufficiently, there are two courses of action open to you. You can either make an internal complaint using the University’s complaints procedures or go directly to the Information Commissioner, the independent body that oversees the Act.

If you are a current registered student at the University, you can make your complaint through the student complaints procedure.

Anyone else can complain by writing to the Registrar and Secretary, who will investigate your concerns and respond as soon as possible. He can be contacted at the following address:

Contact details

Bryn Morris
Registrar & Secretary
University of Essex
Wivenhoe Park
Colchester, CO4 3SQ
United Kingdom

You can contact the Office of the Information Commissioner in any of the following ways:

By telephone: 01625 545700

In writing to:
The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
United Kingdom

Help and support 

SU Advice provides independent advice, support and guidance and representatives are permitted to accompany students to meetings at any stage of the complaints procedure.

The Student Services Hub can also direct you to the Student Progress Team that can advise you on the Academic Offences Procedures, or to any other relevant support and wellbeing services that may be required. Please note that the complaints procedure is an internal process and does not have the same degree of formality as a court of law. It is not normally permitted for students to be legally represented at investigative meetings that form part of the complaints procedure.

Reasonable Adjustments

If you have a disability or an ongoing medical condition, and you are having difficulties in taking part in these procedures, then we can also consider making individual arrangements for you. To find out if this is available for you, please contact the Student Wellbeing and Disability Service via the Student Services Hub.

Arrow symbol
Contact us
Freedom of Information Team Information is available on request.