Applications for this course have now closed.
This course will provide an introduction to the basic principles and concepts that underpin programming for data science and AI. It will make use of a high level programming language (i.e. Python) supporting control, data and procedural abstraction.
Through this course you will learn to analyse simple programs, incorporate standard control structures, write functions, arrays structures and I/O, as well as debugging simple programmes.
You will develop quantitative skills in the area of AI and Data Science to enable professional working in areas in which these topics are now being embedded.
The course will enable professionals to take a knowledgeable approach to their use of AI and data science.
After completing this course, students will be expected to be able to:
- demonstrate a critical understanding of the basic principles and concepts that underlie the procedural programming model.
- explain and make use of high-level programming language features that support control, data and procedural abstraction.
- implement, test and debug simple programs that use the features listed above.
- critically evaluate the suitability of certain tools and use them to summarise, present, and compress data.
- conceptually understand basic machine learning techniques, analyse their strengths and weaknesses, and implement them.