I'm currently in the final stages of my PhD journey at Essex Business School, specialising in Accounting. Embarking on this academic adventure can be both exhilarating and challenging, so I want to share my experience as a PhD student, explaining the PhD process and what a typical day looks like for me.

As a PhD student, one of the most significant milestones is the thesis writing phase. This is the culmination of years of research, analysis, and academic exploration. While it's undoubtedly a demanding process, I've discovered that finding a balance and combining my passion for combat sports and a healthy lifestyle with my academic endeavours has helped me maintain my sanity and motivation.

My typical day revolves around a well-structured routine that allows me to maximise productivity while pursuing my interests outside academia. Here's a glimpse into my daily life...

Morning Studies: I prefer to tackle my research and thesis writing during the daytime when my mind is fresh and alert. I find that the quiet hours of the morning are ideal for diving deep into my academic work.

Daytime Training: As someone who practices MMA and jiu-jitsu, physical fitness is crucial. These combat sports not only keep me in top-tier shape but also provide an excellent outlet for stress relief. Regular training sessions help me maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Evening Adventures: In Saudi Arabia (where I'm currently living), there's a vibrant social scene that I don't want to miss out on. Evenings are for exploring the local culture, enjoying the cuisine, and socialising with friends. It's important to strike a balance between work and play.

Here are some tips for PhD students looking to maintain a a healthy work/life balance:

Time Management: Create a daily schedule that allocates dedicated time for your research and leisure activities. Stick to this schedule as closely as possible.

Stay Active: If you’re able to, incorporate regular physical activity into your routine. It can really boost your energy and mental clarity.

Healthy Diet: Pay attention to your nutrition. Fuel your body with the right foods to support your physical and mental well-being.

Prioritise Self-Care: Don't forget to take breaks and rest when you need it. Burnout can be a real issue in academia, so self-care is essential.

Enjoy the Journey: Embrace the unique opportunities that come your way. Whether you’re on campus or in another country, my PhD has been an enriching experience.

Being a PhD student doesn't mean sacrificing your passions and interests outside of academia. If you manage your time well and look after yourself, it's possible to excel in your studies while pursuing your favourite activities. My journey as a PhD student at Essex Business School has been a challenging yet rewarding adventure. Remember, the key to success is maintaining a holistic approach to life, both inside and outside the classroom.