From wearing boots to donning suits! Jimmy Adams joined the Essex MBA in October 2023 after deciding to take the skills he developed in the U.S. Army, into the world of business.

Last year, I took a bold leap and opted to begin an exciting journey as an MBA Candidate at the University of Essex in Colchester, England. I am a former United States Army Logistics Officer and served on active duty for eight years. I conducted logistics operations in nine countries, across three continents and fifteen U.S. states. I loved the U.S. Army but began to feel a calling to bring my talents to the private sector and needed an ally to begin this voyage.

MBA candidate Jimmy wearing U.S. army uniform and posing in front of a vehicle

In early 2023, I accepted a competitive offer from the Essex Business School (EBS) and vowed to begin my Master of Business Administration (MBA). Being aligned with the EBS curriculum, teaching methodology, and timeline was important to me. I am beyond pleased with what I have discovered. The goals of effectuating bold change, and driving sustainability stand ever present in the EBS classroom as lived values. I sought a diverse cohort of talented professionals to propel my career and life to new heights by affording me the gift of learning from their unique experiences.

The talented cohort of part and full-time MBA candidates hail from 11 different nations and retain an impressive resume of shared experiences. Bankers, marketing experts, operations managers, technology leaders, and government workers fill the classroom with a depth of practical knowledge beneficial beyond words. The professors, staff, and support structure at EBS are welcoming, and eager to help students.

MBA student Jimmy Adams standing outside of a sign that says Essex Business School

The hallmarks of servant leadership, diverse thought, bold action, open dialogue, and shared challenges are what drove me to serve as an Officer in the United States Army. I soon discovered those same experiences are ripe for the taking throughout the halls and classrooms at the Essex Business School.

Many have inquired why I chose to embark abroad to begin an MBA. My path is unusual for most U.S. Veterans transitioning from Military Service. All people seek purpose, meaning, diversity and depth in their life journey. I have discovered all these elements in and outside the classroom in Colchester, England. The curriculum has expanded my horizons, the professors have challenged me to think differently, and my classmates have afforded me the chance to be a part of their awe-inspiring lives.

As I begin my Spring Semester, I am surrounded by Roman ruins in the historic city of Colchester and walk amongst the rolling green hills of the English countryside. Each day I am gifted the opportunity to grow, expand, and transition from a U.S. Army Officer to a business professional eager to serve others once again. I look forward to the post-graduation employment opportunities that will emerge and remain open-minded where I will eventually call home.

I stand grateful to all those at the Essex Business School for their support, knowledge, and values-based approach to educating my MBA cohort. If this message has resonance, I firmly believe The University of Essex has a place for you and stand ready to share my reflections into the summer and beyond.

Are you interested in studying an MBA? Get in touch at ebsmba@essex.ac.uk.