From Samoa conservationist, to Scholarship winner. MSc Accounting and Financial Management student James Faiumu has had an impressive journey into his studies at Essex Business School. We spoke to him to find out more about his experience of moving to the other side of the world to pursue his studies and how he came to receive the prestigious Chevening Scholarship.

What brought you to Essex Business School? Were you awarded any scholarships?

I was awarded the Chevening Scholarship in 2022 to come and study in the UK. Chevening is the UK government’s international scholarships and fellowships programme. Funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and partner organisations, they offer individuals who show potential to inspire, inform, and influence positive change and the opportunity to study at a UK university to gain a UK educational qualification.

As part of the process, I was to select at least three choices of universities that I would want to attend in the UK. After much deliberation I chose the University of Essex out of my three choices. I come from a part of the world that is heavily impacted by the effects of climate change and my most recent job before moving to the UK was with the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environmental Programme which coordinated efforts across the Pacific to protect their natural resources and surrounding ocean and encourage sustainable practices. EBS for me really mirrored these experiences and I wanted to learn from scholars and professors that share the same passion as me particularly on sustainability reporting which my research is based on.

James Faiumu standing in front of the winter garden

What has it been like working as an EBS student ambassador?

Working as an EBS student ambassador has been a positive experience. I have worked closely with the EBS team to plan and deliver a lot of the campus events particularly departmental activities and Open Days for the University. I’ve enhanced many skills sets like public speaking, planning, logistics and leadership to name a few. Special thanks to Emily Dale, Kirstie J Enefer and the rest of the team at EBS for being wonderful and supportive colleagues through the many campus events we’ve worked and collaborated on.

What are you most proud of in your university experience?

I am most proud of having the ability to complete my studies successfully and looking back at all the great initiatives I have been able to be a part of through my studies, my Chevening Scholarship as well as through my work as a Student Ambassador. This was my second chance of having another full university experience as I did have my first in New Zealand and I feel that this second time around is much better. I am more confident in myself and was more involved and engaged outside of the classroom.

Another proud moment was when I was selected for a full funded two-weeks Sustainable Practices Summer School by the University of Essex that took place in June 2023 and successfully completed the course receiving a certificate at the end of it.

What are your aspirations for after graduation?

I want to take the knowledge and skills I have learnt at Essex Business School back to my home country. I want to work with local youth groups and initiatives to provide my support in any way possible and especially helping with scholarship and formal education application process and career planning. It would also be good to work with the local accounting professional body to discuss way forward for the practice in the country and share some of my research with them.

Ultimately, I would like to run my own consultancy firm on the island to help local businesses grow - particularly small to medium enterprises and provide employment to my community.