Harry is a BA Philosophy and Politics student from Essex who spent a year abroad in South Korea during 2022/2023. Harry had a life changing experience which is shared in a letter to Essex students thinking about going abroad…

“Dear student,

I believe it is fundamental for you to do a year abroad.

The significance of this year's study has changed my life for the better. I have become a better, more independent person with a real depth in understanding of Far-Eastern cultures. I chose Korea as I’ve always been curious about the other half of the world, and how different the food and culture is, and through my time here I have experienced another side to life which has been a refreshing experience. Making me expand my view just beyond that of a British student, to that of a global scholar who can provide insight with more than one approach to a problem. Although all facets of daily life here have been incredibly fun and interesting, from the academic, food and creating multi-cultural friendships that’ll last forever. To me, the cultural immersion and adaption to Korean society has been incredibly fun, it’s an entirely new world out here! Some shops don’t even have cashiers, there’s that much trust and respect in the society here. This kind of respect and trust transcends throughout all of layers of society here. Experiencing life in South Korea has changed my mind about many things and think retrospectively about British society. Expanding what I perceive and how I understand things, which I believe will be extremely valuable throughout my life.

Alongside this, I have made tremendous leaps in my understanding of the Korean language, which, don’t let it discourage you from coming here if you don’t know anything about Korean, or its society. I came here with very little understanding of its culture, and no Korean Language understanding. But almost a year on I can write in Korean, speak basic and understand conversations. Language skills are incredibly important in life, and will no doubt give me the edge I need in the future.

I have also been lucky enough to have been offered a job here in Korea which I will be taking for a year before continuing to a masters. Essex has given me the opportunity to go to Korea, and from it I have been given Korean language skills, friends for a lifetime, greater global understandings, and an opportunity to remain here if I wanted.

two students sitting on the steps of a house in Korea

I won’t lie to you, this year has had its highs and lows, but growth only comes from adversity, right? So, if you’re an opportunist like me, you should take the chance of a lifetime Essex offers you with a year abroad. It’ll change your life forever.

한국에서 사는 것은 놀라운 경험이었습니다. 다시 한번 감사드립니다, 에식스.

It has been an amazing experience to live in Korea. Thank you again, Essex.

Yours Sincerely,
Harry S. Dove”

Harry’s experience is a great example of how to embrace such an adventure.

Going on a year abroad means much more than visiting new places and trying new food; it means learning to perceive the world from a different point of view and give yourself the chance to grow up through challenges and memories.

Are you inspired by Harry’s letter? Find out more about Study Abroad opportunities.