Essex graduate Natalie Corbett, founder of the Henry Centre, is the new sponsor of an annual prize to support the next wave of talent within the Department of Psychosocial and Psychoanalytic Studies.

The Henry Centre was founded by alumna Natalie Corbett in 2020, just a year after she graduated from Essex with an MA in Psychodynamic Counselling. The private counselling and psychotherapy centre, based in Westcliff-on-Sea in Essex, provides high-quality, meaningful and ethically minded therapy for individuals, couples and children.

Our psychodynamic counselling course is a clinical training programme for professionals working either with adults or children and adolescents. Students gain practical experience through placements in schools or local agencies and acquire a professional qualification to work therapeutically with adults or children and adolescents. 
On launching the centre, Natalie said: “My aim is to provide an excellent standard of care for our clients and promote the idea of psychodynamic thinking within the local community.”

Just two years after opening, it’s now the proud sponsor of an annual prize to recognise the upcoming talent in psychodynamic counselling. The Henry Centre Prize awards £2,000 to the student who achieves the highest mark in the reflective essay as part of the MA in Psychodynamic Counselling (36-month variant). 
Natalie said, “by starting the Henry Centre Prize, we are continuing our work in helping to support and develop new talent within the local psychodynamic community.”

Student Kayleigh Migliorini was awarded the inaugural prize for the 2021/22 academic year and said:

“I was very surprised to be awarded The Henry Centre Prize. It has given me a huge sense of achievement and a much-needed confidence boost after a testing year. I am extremely grateful to The Henry Centre for their generosity, as the award will help to make a substantial dent in the course fees for year two.

“The award prompted me to find out more about The Henry Centre and make contact with its founder Natalie Corbett. I was touched by our conversation, as Natalie expressed a genuine interest in my essay and my journey. The Henry Centre has subsequently offered to support me in any other way that they can, which will hopefully help me to connect with the psychodynamic community and provide a valuable resource for my learning. The Henry Centre is clearly committed to nurturing future practitioners, and I look forward to building a relationship with them.”