Hi Everyone!

I have been asked to write a few words reflecting on my time under lockdown as an Essex Student.

You always remember where you are in life when significant events often occur. Some remember the Kennedy assassination, Princess Diana, 9/11. The thing about Lockdown is I could see it coming. I remember receiving the Vice Chancellor’s e-mail regarding the suspension of face to face learning. Great! I thought. This is really going to scupper things. I remember the exodus from campus in the following week thinking this is the end! Colchester was becoming a ghost town.

I didn’t actually listen to Boris Johnson’s speech regarding the beginning of Lockdown. I didn’t need to. The lockdown in other countries had already convinced me it was only a matter of time. Twenty three hours indoors, one hour exercise or shopping. I remember thinking, I’m never going to cope, being cooped up indoors for three weeks – probably longer. I still had a lot of course work to complete and I thought if the IT labs closed then I would be in trouble.

I briefly considered leaving my course, but my Student Support Worker Ursula talked me out of it. I’m glad she did, I haven’t looked back since.

Was I afraid of Lockdown? Of COVID? Of course. But I had to get my fear under control. At first, I spent a lot of time sleeping and just laying in bed, but when I listened to how other people were coping with Lockdown and what they were doing to make the best of a bad situation, I thought about how Britain had been tested in the past and I realised we could get through this. I could get through this.

I started a new routine. I would go to the IT labs and continue with my assignments. Speaking to other students, I realised I wasn’t alone, we were all in this together. I liased with my Student Services advisor Ben who has been great along with Taran and Jo-my health advisor. When I started shopping at Tesco, it struck how calm people were queueing for trollies, just taking everything in their stride, no panic, no fighting. I did get depressed as the Lockdown continued. Who wouldn’t? I just told myself to carry on. You have to.

The information provided by the University itself has been a massive help in lifting my spirits; from the Vice Chancellor’s updates, to the support on campus like the Security team, Student Services, Resident Life, and Accommodation. There is an amazing support team here at Essex.

Via dreaded Zoom meetings and e-mails, I have spent hours in the IT labs revising for my exams and reading through my coursework. I realised that fear is like a wild horse: it can be tamed. I thought I’m not walking away. I AM not giving up on this! My goal hasn’t yet been reached.

Before Coronavirus I had been planning to go to Normandy and to tour the battlefields in Europe, but my trip has just been placed on hold. But that doesn’t mean I have to give up; I will go. I will go when this is over.

One thing I do miss is the hustle and bustle of University life, the crowds, people going to lectures. I miss going to lectures. But I keep telling myself that all of these things will return. I never thought I would cope with Lockdown and at first it did look shaky, but recently I have felt a lot stronger. Things are still uncertain regarding the virus, but I tend to live from day to day. Life seems easier that way.

I have met some great people here and Essex is a brilliant international community which will reunite again. Some may feel Coronavirus can’t be beaten but it can be defeated and it will be defeated.

My routine may still feel a little weird, especially waiting for exam results, but I am coming through this and I am determined to continue.

The University of Essex is a great community even in Lockdown and the spirit of our community is still here. Even apart, WE ARE STILL ESSEX!