Issues affecting LGBT+ students
We know from research and from what students tell us that they can be affected by:
- confusion from others regarding different terminology linked to gender identity
- perceived lack of role models at Essex within the LGBT+ community
- acts of conscious/unconscious discrimination. For example, language used in paperwork, student records and applications and male/female grouping in classes
- limited availability of gender-neutral toilets and changing facilities
Ways to support LGBT+ students
- Signpost students to the LGBT+ students’ network.
- Increase the use of gender-neutral pronouns.
- Use LGBT+ readings, case studies and materials within classes.
- Avoid gendered group work and language when referring to students or authors.
- Promote the ‘It Gets Better’ video within your department.