The voluntary dental plan benefit provides cover to help make costly dental treatment more affordable.
The insurance is underwritten by Unum Limited under the trading name Unum Dental.
Cover and benefits
You can claim towards any necessary dental treatment, up to the amount shown on the benefit schedule for the plan you have selected. This includes routine treatment such as examinations and scaling, through to more extensive work such as crowns, bridges and dentures. You can visit any dentist of your choice and are able to choose a level of cover that suits you best, either NHS or private.
The Dental Plan window is now closed for new joiners for between December 2021 - November 2022.
The window will open again in October 2022 for memberships to start December 2022.
There are three levels of cover to choose from and you can opt to include your partner and/or children:
- Clear 1: This entry level plan would be suitable for members who receive their dental treatment at an NHS dentist. You can still have private treatment on this plan, but will only be reimbursed the NHS cost equivalent.
- Clear 4: These plans are suitable for members who receive their dental treatment at an NHS dentist or have their dental care carried out by a private dentist who charges low to mid-range fees.
- Clear 6: These are our highest levels of cover and are suitable for those who visit a more expensive private dentist.
All three plans reimburse 100% of NHS charges. Please see the benefit schedule (.pdf) for a full list of treatments covered.
The following are all excluded from the policy:
- Cosmetic treatment.
- Mouth cancer which existed prior to joining the plan.
- Treatment carried out before the policy starts.
- Treatment carried out after exiting the scheme.
Cover for your family
You can select cover for your partner and/or children, but they must be on the same level or cover as you. Children are covered under the age of 21, or 23 if in full time education.
Cost per month
Prices are effective from 1 December 2021 to 30 November 2022 and is paid via payroll salary deduction on a monthly basis. As private fees can vary from dentist to dentist, you should compare your own dentist’s charges to the cover available to ensure you select the plan that’s right for you.
Monthly costs are as follows:
| || Clear 1 ||Clear 4 ||Clear 6 |
| Employee only || £9.50 ||£17.09 ||£31.42 |
| Couple || £19.00 ||£34.18 ||£62.84 |
| Single parent family || £19.00 ||£34.18 ||£62.84 |
| Family || £28.50 ||£51.27 ||£94.26 |