Given the size of the Civil Service, there are an enormous number of possible areas for you to work in, and you will never be short of new challenges throughout your career.
The question is, where do you start? The Fast Stream Graduate Programme is open to people from any academic discipline. Within it, you can choose from a range of options, according to your preferences and interests.
In addition to the Generalist Fast Stream, they also have fourteen separate Fast Stream schemes designed for specialists and other groups:
- Diplomatic Fast Stream gives the chance to be involved in everything from tackling international terrorism to promoting a low-carbon economy, from managing migration to dealing with consular crises.
- Houses of Parliament Fast Stream is for graduates with an interest in the constitution, politics and public policy.
- Science and Engineering Fast Stream gives the chance to be involved in Health, Climate, Energy, Animal and Plant Health, Transport, Defence and Security.
- Commercial Fast Stream provides the opportunity to seal the deal in one of Europe’s largest buying organisations. It gives individuals the opportunity to be involved in Procurement Category Management, Commercial Management and Contract and Supplier Management.
- Finance Fast Stream is for those with an interest in developing a career in finance. This scheme offers a professional accountancy qualification with ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA or ICAEW.
- Government Communication Fast Stream is for those with an interest in Media and press management, Campaigns and marketing and internal communications.
- The HR Fast Stream is for graduates with a proven interest in all areas of the HR profession., This scheme offers a CIPD recognised Postgraduate qualification.
- Digital and Technology Fast Stream is for graduates who understand and have a strong interest in technology and its application.
- Project Delivery Fast Stream is all about making things happen, or implementing changes to the way we run public services, through projects or programmes.
- The European Fast Stream is for graduates seeking to work on EU related issues.
- Government Services Fast Streams offer graduate opportunities for economists, statisticians, social researchers and operational researchers.
Fast Stream Diversity Internship Programme
The Civil Service Fast Stream offers two internship programmes for undergraduates. The Summer Diversity Internship Programme and the Early Diversity Internship Programme give undergraduates from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to see what a career in the Civil Service is like.
Early application closing dates and further eligibility requirements apply for many of these programme.
Read the information on the Civil Service Fast Stream website before attending so you come ready with some questions.