Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution.
There are plenty of ways you can make some small changes to make a difference when it comes to plastic use.
Some of our tips:
- Try to be plastic free with your make up – check out our Facebook video for tips
- Use a shampoo bar instead of a bottle
- Take a reusable coffee cup out with you
- Use reusable shopping bags
- Try to buy loose fruit and veg rather than pre packaged
What are we doing to reduce plastic at the university?
- Essex Food only sell canned water.
- You can get 10p discount from all Essex Food outlets if you bring your own reusable cup.
- We have 81 water fountains across our campus which you can use for free to refill your water bottle. You can find your nearest one on FindYourWay
- When you are off of campus look on the refill app to find places you can refill your water bottle on the go
- We encourage staff and students to use reusables bottles, bags and coffee cups whilst on campus
- The Eco Store on Colchester campus sells lot of great products which are plastic free
What’s will we be working on?
- In our Sustainability Sub Strategy we aim to eliminate single use plastics, in preference for reusable or recyclable alternatives.
- We will be conducting a single use plastics audit in food/retail outlets to establish key areas to be addressed and develop an action plan based on findings
- By 2024 single use plastics will not be used by events, marketing materials and by catering
- We will be developing and implementing a ‘Plastics Policy’ setting out approach to plastics and single use plastics for all outlets and external catering and events
For more information on how we are working towards our net zero goal take a look at our Sustainability Sub Strategy.