To successfully fulfil your responsibilities as a supervisor, you will need to:
- Provide close supervision and guidance for the duration of the internship, to ensure clear direction, completion, and review of activities.
- Provide opportunities for development and a clear structure for training.
- Provide an induction to the department, including orientation, meeting colleagues and ensuring required training is completed.
- If working in an office, ensure the student's desk is located close to you or other suitable colleagues should they need any assistance and guidance.
- Be willing to be appointed as a supervisor within the universities HR structures and processes, and undertake the administrative activities associated with this – e.g. verifying timesheets in People Manager.
Supervising a Frontrunner can require significant time and energy. Before applying, please ensure that you can commit to properly supporting a student who will have very little work experience. The value of Frontrunners to our students relies on the development of positive working relationships, effective support to build confidence and skills and the sharing of knowledge and experience.
Additional support is available to supervisors who have no experience of line management.